PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
Our Comcast bill went from $295 to $320 in December without notice. Discovered that they added an unwanted 411 service (+$5), WiFi modem went up 50% (+$5) and miscellaneous BS fees (+$15), which CS Rep couldn’t explain. Waiting for a call back from a supervisor, but not holding my breath 😠

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
Yeah, we dropped Dish service a little over a year ago and that was only like $120.

We bought a new cable internet service and almost every streaming service and it's like $80 at the end of the month including the internet upgrade.

The only thing we don't get is local live events but I listen to baseball mostly via radio so it's not a big impact for me.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Dropped DISH a few months ago and switched to YouTube TV. YTTV allows up to 4 or 5 households on one account for $65 a month. My son and I split it. We pay $32.50 a month each. Then we stream Prime, Netflix and Britbox.

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
Dropped DISH a few months ago and switched to YouTube TV. YTTV allows up to 4 or 5 households on one account for $65 a month. My son and I split it. We pay $32.50 a month each. Then we stream Prime, Netflix and Britbox.
I’ll have to look into this…

ACE94029-A624-43BD-BE76-5BE18663DA92.png

Reactions: Briar Tuck

Indygrap

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 18, 2022
New Orleans, LA
Ditched cable/dish about 7 years ago. With a digital antenna we get local channels & then use internet service for streaming. Between us & our kids we have plenty of streaming channels to watch.
We just stopped using cable internet & started using Verizon 5G internet. So far it’s better than the cable internet. $320 a month?!?! That’s about what we pay for 3 phones, internet, Disney+, Hulu & ESPN. Plus the rate unannounced increase? Ditch that stuff if you can. Think of all the tobacco you could get for that!

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Just the fact that you paid 295 a month makes me happier and happier that i dumped cable several years ago. $50 a month for 500mb internet is more than enough for those vultures,
Yup we bought a big ass outdoor antenna. When really all we need or want is channel 6. Everything else is wifi on Hulu or Netflix, etc.

Reactions: Briar Tuck

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Yup we bought a big ass outdoor antenna. When really all we need or want is channel 6. Everything else is wifi on Hulu or Netflix, etc.
Prime works for me and I have a bunch of oddball useless channels through the Roku in my TV, I also have a link for a streaming service to watch all sports for free, so that's covered. Most of what I watch are Kung Fu movies, various Asian cop / action movies, old westerns, etc., so prime and their partner channels have been working for the last 3 years.

Egg Shen

Lifer
Nov 26, 2021
Pennsylvania
Our Comcast bill went from $295 to $320 in December without notice. Discovered that they added an unwanted 411 service (+$5), WiFi modem went up 50% (+$5) and miscellaneous BS fees (+$15), which CS Rep couldn’t explain. Waiting for a call back from a supervisor, but not holding my breath 😠
295/320 What’s the difference

cancel that crap

The high level Comcast execs are crooks, and the people you get for their “customer service “ are dolts. And your paying all that and still have to watch commercials.

Explore some other options. You can have internet and like every streaming service that exists for half what you currently pay.

As an aside I tire of folks complaining about money when literally everyone has $3,600 cable bill and a $1000 phone in their pocket...Sorry, what was the question?
Prime works for me and I have a bunch of oddball useless channels through the Roku in my TV, I also have a link for a streaming service to watch all sports for free, so that's covered. Most of what I watch are Kung Fu movies, various Asian cop / action movies, old westerns, etc., so prime and their partner channels have been working for the last 3 years.
Roku is awesome for niche channels. I like the Redbull sports channel, among others.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
The cable got cut years ago at our homestead. Xfinity was our internet provider in the city and was as terrible and expensive as everyone says they are. Since moving back to God's country, we've got not one, but 2 ISP available on our dead end road, fast as crap, $80/month, and all built with government grants and new infrastructure. With the streaming services available, we can pick and choose what we want, but that's more for the wife and kiddos. When I watch the telly, it's usually cast from a hard drive via our wifi.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
295/320 What’s the difference

cancel that crap

The high level Comcast execs are crooks, and the people you get for their “customer service “ are dolts. And your paying all that and still have to watch commercials.

Explore some other options. You can have internet and like every streaming service that exists for half what you currently pay.

As an aside I tire of folks complaining about money when literally everyone has $3,600 cable bill and a $1000 phone in their pocket...Sorry, what was the question?

Roku is awesome for niche channels. I like the Redbull sports channel, among others.
I wish they would add MeTV, i could get it with an antenna on the window or one of those things but not worth it since I've seen all the old western series and others on there 1000 times anyway. lol

Egg Shen

Lifer
Nov 26, 2021
Pennsylvania
I wish they would add MeTV, i could get it with an antenna on the window or one of those things but not worth it since I've seen all the old western series and others on there 1000 times anyway. lol
ME TV is great. But I took down my antenna down. I didn’t like the cable routed across the room and the local Fox channel wasn’t as clear as I wanted. So I got Roku for 75 dollars and I borrow a password here and there for some of the other streaming services. I get bored of them all eventually and wouldn’t pay for them. Maybe a few months out of the year in the winter to marathon some shows.

And to the OP: It takes some willingness to track down all of the sources for your must-have content, but usually you can assemble all the streaming services for a fraction of the cost of cable. At least if you’re into the content I am. I can imagine it could be costly if you want to watch all sorts of sports…but i dont have experience with this, other than I don’t notice much sports in my free content so I’m assuming it’s monetized and perhaps expensive / not much cheaper than cable

Reactions: fireground_piper