PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
Lunt is a perfectly cromulent word.
Haha. One question which crosses my mind is whether the word turns out to have a somewhat artificial history. I wonder this because it seems to have no parallel in English. We have no word for walking while licking a lollypop, or walking while holding an umbrella, or walking while humming a tune. If we did, I'd feel no suspicion about a word for walking while smoking a pipe. Do other languages have words for these things? Anyway, when and where did the word originate? If it originated in 2004 on a pipe smoking forum among 23 year olds who wanted to be cool, I'll give it a hard pass. But if it has a more venerable history, that's great!

I can't find an entomology for lunt or lunting. And, I can find no historical use for the word "lunting" used for walking and smoking ever in literature. However, given the definition for lunt, I can see where in modern slang the act of leaving a trail of smoke would be lunting.

But, like every word in the dictionary, someone just made it up. puffy
lunt.jpg

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
There are two kinds of people on this planet. Those who enjoy good pipe music, and the rest. Most people haven't heard good pipe music. Typical individuals base their opinions on street band playing "Amazing Grace". Probably on a Christmas parade or St. Paddy's day. Pipes are out of tune, some new piper is playing completely different tune.. It's a mess.

Go to a local highland game and listen to open piper competition or high grade (grade 3 or above) band competition. There's nothing like well tuned and well play pipe music.
yeah there is a guy that plays bag pipes on campus sometimes. And it's really good. He isn't busking or anything like that just playing. It's kind of mind blowing how wonderful it sounded compared to most of the bag pipes I've heard.
Though hearing loss is common with bag pipers so maybe that's why so much of it isn't great.

Winnipeger

Lifer
Sep 9, 2022
Winnipeg
Haha. One question which crosses my mind is whether the word turns out to have a somewhat artificial history. I wonder this because it seems to have no parallel in English. We have no word for walking while licking a lollypop, or walking while holding an umbrella, or walking while humming a tune. If we did, I'd feel no suspicion about a word for walking while smoking a pipe. Do other languages have words for these things? Anyway, when and where did the word originate? If it originated in 2004 on a pipe smoking forum among 23 year olds who wanted to be cool, I'll give it a hard pass. But if it has a more venerable history, that's great!
To lunt was a verb that originally meant to emit smoke or steam, or to light a pipe. The perambulatory overtones were first added in John Mactaggart's Scottish Gallovidian Encyclopedia of 1824.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Sounds like condescension or insulting terminology to sling at someone smoking a pipe.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Fortunately, words have meaning. Slang is simply laziness or "trying to fit in" and, adds to confusion in written communication where "facial tells" aren't available. Confusion leads to many problems, some intensely serious.
Yeah 14 years of Catholic school made me a grammar cop too.

New words are added every year. The English speaking populace can change the definitions over time too.
I can't fathom what kind of problems would come from a pipe smoker being mistaken for a bagpipe player.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
In the Māori dictionary “paipa” (pretty much a transliteration of piper, and pronounced the same) can be used to describe pipe smoking.
Didn’t some Maori engage in Cargo Cult behavior after WWII? I can relate to that. I have a UPS Truck Shrine in my office. Some day, the Big Brown Truck will return with Finn Mosin M91’s priced at $120/10 shipped.