PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

americaman

Part of the Furniture Now
May 1, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
I left my Jack Howell pipe on my lap last night, and then stood up, the pipe fell on the ground and the stem snapped.

I’m emailing Jack Howell to inquire about a replacement stem. Is there a way to get the snapped stem out of the mortise, or should I leave that for the professional?

1C412643-F443-46D7-88B8-5A463317BC86.jpeg

C81AF350-15AC-4AE8-A092-FE1CCFBEEDE3.jpeg

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
I am so sorry. That's a gorgeous pipe, too.

We've all been there, in one way or another.

Certainly there are ways to extract that tenon, but why risk anything if Jack is going to work on it anyway?

I'd wait to hear what he says. Please do update us, whether he'll just make a new stem or what.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Wow. I have only dropped a few pipes a few times. All I got were some scuffs and some minor chipping. But that moment you see it falling and can't grab it before it hits the ground just sucks.
I'd leave it as I am sure the pros can do it or at least give you the best advice if it's a simple fix.

Reactions: seanv

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I've never broken one but professional repair is the safest option if you've never done it yourself.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Did exact same thing few years back. Just few scratches on the stem. I was sure the pipe would be damaged. Got lucky that time. Did it again few days later with a different pipe.

Sir Yak

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 15, 2022
Arkansas
I spend the winter smoking under a big blanket on the porch. I often spend the better part of a minute looking around my lap/legs to check for my lighter before I get up out of the porch swing. And still I’ll stand up and it will go clattering on to the porch. Sorry about your pipe but I bet someone with Jack’s reputation will help you get it fixed up.

DotAndBang’sPipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2016
Orlando, FL
I'd tap it, screw in a bolt, and pull it out.
Hey, does this screw-in thing work? I’d love to know for sure. I’ve got a no name favorite in the OP’s position as well. Would love to not have to send it off if possible! The JH pipe, on the other hand, that might be a profesh situation there.

Briar Tuck

Lifer
Nov 29, 2022
Oregon coast
Hey, does this screw-in thing work? I’d love to know for sure. I’ve got a no name favorite in the OP’s position as well. Would love to not have to send it off if possible! The JH pipe, on the other hand, that might be a profesh situation there.
I've never used it on a pipe but I have used that technique in similar mechanical situations and it works great. There is no reason it wouldn't work to remove a broken tenon. You just need to find an appropriate sized tap to cut the threads and a matching sized bolt or screw that's long enough to give you enough leverage to pull out the tenon once it's screwed in.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Yeah, laps and pants pockets are no place for pipes. Everyone has different habits, so you just have to identify your own vulnerable places for stashing a pipe and avoid those. Or an easier way to think about it is to have specific safe places to stash pipes and always use those.

Same way for not losing keys, wallets, glasses, etc. For keeping track of stuff, habits can be your friends.

Reactions: SBC