PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Well, it didn’t make the pipe look any worse.......

I just fail to understand these upside down nutsacks and decapitated glans from shaft.
that's because you're not a repressed homosexual. (sorry that's just a joke, you can smoke that pipe and have a loving wife who you find very attractive).

He's been pretty open about it hasn't he?

Reactions: kcghost

DotAndBang’sPipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2016
Orlando, FL
It has been repeated endlessly for decades, but somehow there are always a few people who either don't get the message or think they can "get away with it."

The attached pic is of a pipe that was worth thousands of dollars. One of the most collectable makers in the world. (How much it's worth now is unknown, but I guarantee it's significantly less than before.)

The stem had "greened" (oxidized) a bit, and someone decided to take it back to black with a buffer when OFF the stummel.

There's no re-wind button. No way to fix what's wrong short of replacing the stem.

Don't be that guy.

View attachment 41884
Believe it or not I’ve had well known pipe repair outfits buff away logos on original stems of expensive pipes... pipes from brands that, unless you know nothing about pipes at all, you would know not to mess with the logo on an original stem. Astounding. Angering.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Buffers can be deadly. Like reamers. In the hands of a pro, they do a job. In the hands of an amateur, there goes the stamping, the finish, the stem fit and the shape. I've never had a buffer and don't want one, nor a reamer. A rag, a bandana, or a jewelers cloth and some elbow grease does the job.

Brew&Briar

(Urban Briar)
Jan 3, 2020
Los Angeles, CA
I know that buffing is faster, especially if you have to do 50 or so of them to do at a time. But, I use a buffer everyday with jewelry work, and I still prefer to just use those micromesh pads on my stems. I rarely ever have to do more than one pipe every few months or so, so it is no biggie for me to spend 15 minutes with those pads. Just seeing these pictures like this... I can't imagine.
When you use the mircomesh pads, do you keep the stem on the stummel? Do you need to worry about the finish on the wood when you do this, or is the micromesh low enough grit? For light oxidation, what grit do you start?

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
When you use the mircomesh pads, do you keep the stem on the stummel? Do you need to worry about the finish on the wood when you do this, or is the micromesh low enough grit? For light oxidation, what grit do you start?
You can always tape off the shank. :col:

Reactions: pruss
Status
Not open for further replies.