PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
It has been repeated endlessly for decades, but somehow there are always a few people who either don't get the message or think they can "get away with it."

The attached pic is of a pipe that was worth thousands of dollars. One of the most collectable makers in the world. (How much it's worth now is unknown, but I guarantee it's significantly less than before.)

The stem had "greened" (oxidized) a bit, and someone decided to take it back to black with a buffer when OFF the stummel.

There's no re-wind button. No way to fix what's wrong short of replacing the stem.

Don't be that guy.

Screen Shot 2020-09-04 at 10.31.40 PM.png

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
Are you referring to the gap between the stem and briar?
It's difficult to see on my tiny cell phone screen but it's clear that the edges of the stem have been worn down and are no longer flush with the pipe. It took a while to notice but once you do, it sticks in your mind.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Well, it didn’t make the pipe look any worse.......

I just fail to understand these upside down nutsacks and decapitated glans from shaft.
that's because you're not a repressed homosexual. (sorry that's just a joke, you can smoke that pipe and have a loving wife who you find very attractive).

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
That pipe probably wasn’t cheap either. I recommend practicing on cheap pipes, that way you won’t mind when they catch and go flying across the shop at an extremely fast speed. It amazes me how you see these kinds of mistakes on very expensive pipes.

Swampy16

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 12, 2020
I’ve never retired a pipe and know better than to do that. That’s just stupid. What would have been the best way to do it? I wouldn’t even touch a pipe like that. Thousands? I think it would have been a Magic Eraser and some carnauba with a terry towel only no?

I know that buffing is faster, especially if you have to do 50 or so of them to do at a time. But, I use a buffer everyday with jewelry work, and I still prefer to just use those micromesh pads on my stems. I rarely ever have to do more than one pipe every few months or so, so it is no biggie for me to spend 15 minutes with those pads. Just seeing these pictures like this... I can't imagine.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
I’ve never retired a pipe and know better than to do that. That’s just stupid. What would have been the best way to do it? I wouldn’t even touch a pipe like that. Thousands? I think it would have been a Magic Eraser and some carnauba with a terry towel only no?
Buff it with the stem on, so the corners don’t erode.

Reactions: BROBS
Status
Not open for further replies.