PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I'm happy that this thread exists. It's reminder against taking things for granted. Do what you can to protect your cellar, but harbor no expectations. You'll lose some and win some.

There are members here who say that they've ever lost a single tin and precautions are pointless.

They must be incredibly lucky, not have been cellaring for very long, are voyagers from an alternate universe, are unaware of what's actually happening in their cellars, or are lying.

I may have posted this link earlier in this thread, but not everyone is going to read through a long thread, so here's a repeat:

Cellaring, aging is a risk/reward proposition, so have no expectations. Be pleasantly happy when an aged tin offers an exceptional smoking experience, and philosophical when another aged tin is a dud. Makes for a much better ride down the road.

Personally, I've stopped pursuing "vintage" tobaccos, as in 15 years or older, due to my experiences purchasing it in the aftermarket. Not enough upside vs downside to interest me further. Others will feel differently.

Luckily, I've got enough cellared that I like, enough so, that the occasional tits up tin doesn't matter all that much.

here are members here who say that they've ever lost a single tin and precautions are pointless.

They must be incredibly lucky, not have been cellaring for very long, are voyagers from an alternate universe, are unaware of what's actually happening in their cellars, or are lying.
You would have had a 5 star post if you hadn't of went and added that.

I've never had a breached seal, but in our impassioned discourse of the past, I was only adamant about never taking tobacco out of a perfectly good tin and putting it into a jar. For me, I can just go through my tins and try to pull the lids off by hand. If it doesn't come off, the tin is sealed. If it pops off, I smoke it up.

For me, and my thinking, if the tin is sealed, why go to the extra step of ruining a perfectly good tin. If I wanted it in a jar, I would have just bought the bulk version in the first place.
And, no, I've never had a breached seal on a tin. But, I do check periodically, maybe once a year, maybe longer, maybe less. If I did find a loose lid, which I haven't yet (knock on wood) I wouldn't fret. For me, it would just be a nicotine gods showing me which blend to smoke next.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
You would have had a 5 star post if you hadn't of went and added that.

I've never had a breached seal, but in our impassioned discourse of the past, I was only adamant about never taking tobacco out of a perfectly good tin and putting it into a jar. For me, I can just go through my tins and try to pull the lids off by hand. If it doesn't come off, the tin is sealed. If it pops off, I smoke it up.

For me, and my thinking, if the tin is sealed, why go to the extra step of ruining a perfectly good tin. If I wanted it in a jar, I would have just bought the bulk version in the first place.
And, no, I've never had a breached seal on a tin. But, I do check periodically, maybe once a year, maybe longer, maybe less. If I did find a loose lid, which I haven't yet (knock on wood) I wouldn't fret. For me, it would just be a nicotine gods showing me which blend to smoke next.
To be fair, I did lead with "incredibly lucky".

I call 'em as I've experienced 'em.

Even our foremost evangelist of aging in the tin changed his mind on that after experiencing what he described as "disappointments" in his cellar and suggested jarring right after purchase.

What people do with their stock is their business. But if I become aware of possible risks that I have experienced, and/or others have shared with me, I'm going to share that information. People can do with that what they will.

To be fair, I did lead with "incredibly lucky".

I call 'em as I've experienced 'em.

Even our foremost evangelist of aging in the tin changed his mind on that after experiencing what he described as "disappointments" in his cellar and suggested jarring right after purchase.

What people do with their stock is their business. But if I become aware of possible risks that I have experienced, and/or others have shared with me, I'm going to share that information. People can do with that what they will.
Other than my wait for one to breach before I jar a tin, I do follow Best Practices. If people want to jar their tins, I have no beef, nor do I have a beef with suggesting it to newbies. That’s probably smart, but maybe try to buy bulk instead of tins.

But, I’m confident in my cellar. All of the risk os on me. I just was pointing out the calling me out as a liar. I’m not trying to trick people in any way, nor would I want to subvert people. I most likely would stay out of these discussions otherwise.