PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

newfie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2015
Shearstown, NL
For those of you who like this blend, does bowl shape make a difference to the enjoyment of the smoke? Allow me to explain.
I have learned the joys of burley. I can credit burley for forcing me to learn to smoke slow(er). I like to smoke while driving and I like "low maintenance" smokes while driving, minimum fooling around with tamping and pipe cleaners in a wet pipe. So I will go to one of my Sav balsa System pipes, my Altinok meer, or I'll smoke PS Cube Cut, usually in my Comoy's Oom Paul, which you may know has a tall and relatively narrow bowl shape (burns like a charm once lit).
So today for the drive to work I chose PS Cube Cut in the Altinok meer, which has a bowl ~ 13/16" or 7/8" X ~ 1-1/4" deep or so. I could not get this to stay lit, no way, no shape, no form. I ended up scorching my tongue trying to keep it lit while driving, all in all, less than spectacular smoke.
So, 2 days ago I smoked it in the Oom Paul, and it behaved as usual, which is great. Today the only difference was a different shaped bowl. I don't think I fooled up the pack, I mean, seriously, you'd need a hammer and punch to pack this stuff too tight.
Back to the question, would the (somewhat) stack shaped bowl burn this tobacco better than a wider but shorter bowl?
Thanks.
Jamie

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Jamie, I don't know if it will smoke better but it will smoke differently. To find out if it suites your taste, pack a pot and give it a try. Welcome to the PM boards.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
I think that it is generally agreed that the pipe shape/size matters. I think there's two main philosophies established:
1. Specific shapes do well with specific tobaccos. Large bowls for complex blends (latakia/oriental), narrow shapes for things like Virginia.
OR
2. Different shapes/pipes do better with different tobaccos but their correlation is a mystery lost to whatever aliens that built the pyramids and mankind will never have a predictable explanation. Trial and error will reveal.
I generally prescribe to #1, but I maybe be becoming a #2 convert- I've got some large dublins that do amazingly with virginia blends.

mlyvers

Can't Leave
Sep 23, 2012
Who knows, I have smoked a lot PS CUBE CUT.... I have found that it smokes much better fully rubbed out, no matter what shape bowl I used... however the flavor is somewhat different verses loading just cubes. I do agree that the bowl shape will contribute too the burn and flavor of the tobac.

darwin

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 9, 2014
I've also found this stuff is hard to keep lit. My solution is a sacrificial cob and a torch lighter. Seems to work and the excellent flavor makes it worth the hassle.

newfie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2015
Shearstown, NL
Great info folks, thanks for the responses.
Large bowls for complex blends (latakia/oriental), narrow shapes for things like Virginia
Cool, that I didn't know. FVF in something with a tall bowl tomorrow morning when I get home from work
I have found that it smokes much better fully rubbed out
Really? Never tried to rub it out, it seems so hard I guess I didn't know you could. Do you just rub it in the palm and heel of your hands?
EDIT:
Darwin, I use something fairly dry as a little tinder on top, something that won't fight with the CC flavours. Hard to get lit but usually for me, once it's going it's a great smoke with a draw that doesn't really change 'till the end.

mlyvers

Can't Leave
Sep 23, 2012
Yes newfie it will rub out nicely, some guys here load the cubes first then rub out a little bit for the top portion in order too get a good false lite. Also try letting it dry out for some time, this help with lighting up. PS cube cut is a good mixer as well sir. Good luck....

Status
Not open for further replies.