PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ethan

Can't Leave
Feb 15, 2021
Massachusetts, USA
I have looked online the last couple days, and have been unsuccessful at locating even an ounce of this tobacco. Also, there is no option to be notified when it returns.... I have probably less than half a pound before I run out as well. Anyone know of any good alternatives to this with similar profile/character? Thanks in advance

Ethan

Can't Leave
Feb 15, 2021
Massachusetts, USA
Used to see this stuff in pouches at headshops. Pretty sure it's a ryo/dual use similar to the old pre2k Drum? Have you tried GH Dark Birds Eye? D&R Ryback might be even closer in taste and price.
The dark birdseye looks interesting...unfortunately any of the G&H stuff has been hard to come by. The Amsterdam 83 on it's own is unremarkable, I use it as a base for something I put together, which is the blend most often in my pipe for this year....and now discontinued.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
In addition to being a popular base for mixing, or just smoking on it's own, PS 80, 83, and 84 are popular for RYO. My own experience, FWIW, is that availability has been spotty over the last couple of years. Prior to that, you could buy truckloads of the stuff whenever you wanted.

Lower price, reasonably good quality, increased awareness of, hoarding, and perceived uncertain status in lieu of upcoming regulations are in my opinion driving the sporadic disappearances.

When you consider that most of the world's diminished tobacco production is locked up in contracts for cigarette manufacturers, the quantity of leftover product for the pipe tobacco market is somewhat static in the face of increased demand. Factor in the pandemic, and the reduction of manufacturing, and you get the dry spells.

That's my own personal take... I don't sit on the board of Scandinavian Tobacco Group, or whomever might own or be responsible for the production right now.

Reactions: Ethan

Architeuthis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 17, 2021
Give PS301 Natural Dutch Cavendish a try if you haven't already. Its mild and slightly sweet. Not a match for Amsterdam but I'd bet you could tweak it and get it close.

The Amsterdam shipment is stuck in the Suez canal...

niblicck

Can't Leave
Oct 7, 2020
Alabama
Its one of my favorites and I got a pound of Amsterdam on Feb. 20 2021 from P&C. I waited and kept checking for maybe 2 weeks on all the tobacco sites and ordered it as soon as it showed up. I think they sold out about a week later. Just keep checking all the online sellers for it.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
I just don’t see how those two blends are anywhere near being similar...?

That’s confusing me greatly. I get that different people taste things differently, but holy shit - that’s like comparing apples to chocolate covered SPAM.

I would have said Natural Dutch Cavendish or something. I’m powerful confused now.

Ethan

Can't Leave
Feb 15, 2021
Massachusetts, USA
I just don’t see how those two blends are anywhere near being similar...?

That’s confusing me greatly. I get that different people taste things differently, but holy shit - that’s like comparing apples to chocolate covered SPAM.

I would have said Natural Dutch Cavendish or something. I’m powerful confused now.
Not purchased as a substitute for the 83. This appeared on the tobacco stand with a "we have been going through some stuff in the back room and found this" I was compelled not to leave it there any longer

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
Not purchased as a substitute for the 83. This appeared on the tobacco stand with a "we have been going through some stuff in the back room and found this" I was compelled not to leave it there any longer
Ah, now that makes a lot more sense! It is good stuff actually, more interesting than PS-83 in my opinion! Enjoy it!

Reactions: rushx9 and Ethan
Status
Not open for further replies.