Protocol Question: Real Name or forum user name?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Q1 - If someone knows your real name - Would you prefer being addressed with your real name or your forum username?
Related question
Q2 - If you know other forum members real name, but you don’t know his preferences, how would you address him?
My answer: My user name is not much different from my real name, so it is mostly moot.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
No, I'm not joking and don't call me Shirley!
jay-roger.jpg

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
If the individual puts it out there as "public" information, we can only assume they are OK with us knowing and using it.
If someone reveals it to you, in PM for mailing, for instance, but hasn't revealed it "publicly", it would be your unspoken duty to not be the one to share it with the world.
Etiquette should be a primary school course, IMO.
jay-roger.jpg
(Shirley)

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Any old. Kinda like when folks use my real name, (without the titles!). Or Your Worship is fine, as I have been watching Henry VIII stuff.

mindglue

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 24, 2016
There is some Russian idiom, that came to my mind, in English it would be approximately: " You can call me a pot, but don't put me in the oven"

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I bet you can't guess my name!
Generally if you have developed a relationship with someone over a period of time, I feel it just sort of transitions into using real names. I try not to do it too much with members who have screen names different from their real names in threads started by newer members. I think it comes off as a bit too cliquish, but that's just me.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
When addressed, my real name or username is fine with me.
When addressing someone else, if I know the person's real name I might use it on occasion, but mostly identify that person by his/her username so that everyone will know who I am talking about.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
My username or real name. Doesn't really matter to me.
I may shorten a username.. ashdigger (ash), trouttimes (trout), jpmcwjr (jpm), didimauw (didi).

Status
Not open for further replies.