PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

frankrem

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2019
Huntsville, Arkansas
[/quote]Have you never tried 2003 Charmin Christmas Edition? It's an amazing experience. Incredibly soft texture with a roll note like you wouldn't believe. Super smooth half way through, and a great clean finish. My only knock against it is the room note is horrifying. Unfortunately it was getting too hard for them to source the wood pulp they needed for the blend. They decided to retire instead and destroyed the equipment they used to produce it. I cellared about 20 rolls and have been working my way through them slowly. I only use them for special occasion dumps, holiday meals, international ass-wiping day,etc. and I only use it in an artisan bowl, preferably porcelain. I wouldn't pay the prices you see on ebay these days though. It's a great wipe, but there are plenty of options out there that are almost as good that can be had at costco prices.
@alaskanpiper Bravo - Nicely done Sir!!

Jun 9, 2018
England
I keep 80% of my cellar at my mother's house and the remaining 20% at my flat so if there is a fire (God forbid) at least I wouldn't loose everything but it is a depressing thought as its taken me 4 years and much of my disposable income to put my little cellar together.

Actually this has got me thinking and I'll definitely have to have a word with ma and tell her if a fire breaks out to forget about my dad, the cat, photos and jewellery or whatever and make absolutely sure her number 1 priority is to get the plastic boxes with my tobacco in them saved first! Well maybe she can make the cat priority number 1 but my tobacco HAS to be number 2.

Saying that if I know anything about cats in general and my mum's in particular the pampered puss will be long gone before anyone even realises what's happening.
Chris

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I keep 80% of my cellar at my mother's house and the remaining 20% at my flat so if there is a fire (God forbid) at least I wouldn't loose everything
I had this strategy going with my beer cellar. But then, of course, there was a massive earthquake in november, which impacted both residences, hahaha. Fortunately I only lost a few bottles, since the crawlspace has a dirt floor.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
FW7OCHDFY3KS47Q.MEDIUM.jpg

Jun 9, 2018
England
there was a massive earthquake in november, which impacted both residences
Yeah that's not something that would even enter my head what with living in England, we do get occasional earthquakes or tremors but they are pretty Mickey Mouse when compared to the ones you get in the states and other places. We don't really have to worry about earthquakes, wild fires, tornadoes or any of that sort of thing, I suppose this is one time when the great British weather (for great read wet and gloomy) actually pays off.

This topic has got me thinking about making sure I document and photograph my cellar for the insurance but I doubt I'd get anywhere near its real value. I've got a few tins of Mcclellands and I'm sure the insurance wouldn't pony up the true value of replacing it on ebay or whatever and they'd only cover what it cost me to buy originally. The same goes for blends no longer in production like Warrior Plug and as for aged tobacco that's a difficult one to quantify price wise and the difference between a chunk of fresh FVP and aged is night and day.

Still when I go home for Christmas i'll definitely photograph my cellar and any receipts I can dig up just on the off chance the worse does happen.
Chris

Jun 9, 2018
England
Folanator, that's a great idea especially if it's a water pistol, you can use it to frighten off the burglars (although if the lights are on they may well see the bright orange tip and realising it's not a real gun they are more likely to take it off you and thrash you with it), and if it's a water pistol you can heroically put out the fire with it. It would have to be a pretty tiny house fire though for that to work, still it's better than nothing.

I'll definitely have to keep my eyes peeled for a Super Soaker that looks like an M16 or something.
Chris

p40warhawk

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2019
Over the years, I've amassed alot of great Pipes (1/2 never smoked) and many mason jars/tins of tobacco and some collectors accessories, if anything like that did happen here in SO CAL, I would want to make sure that if the darn house fell apart, I had access to at least a few last smokes. WHAT I WOULD care about if there was a major catastrophe, is to make sure that my wife (41 years) and my two Miniature Schnauzer's were safe. If they were well and safe, I might then turn my meager attention to pipes and tobacco. Some of those Pipes cannot be found again. However, I OWN nothing that is that important to me...

ALTHOUGH, I would be very sad if my jars of Frog Morton were destroyed?! :puffpipe:

Good thread!

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.