PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
This is true. I thought I had charring on one of my pre-transition Barlings, but I just cleaned the top and it appears to be as good as when I got it!

At the same time, I do try to hold the flame just above the tobacco, but on my smaller flake pipes it can be hard to avoid having the flame touch the wood, especially when it’s windy.

Is true. A bit of sooting when lighting in the wind is a small price to pay for a nice smoke.

Did you "restore" the look/finish on the rim that had lost a bit of color? (Mineral oil would do it, I think.)

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
even so, there is a temperature difference between the flame of a match, a zippo, and a butane lighter. I'd feel weird lighting a pipe with anything but a wooden match, but to each his own.

I use all manner of flame. Even a torch when it's super windy. Temperature differences are handled by distance from tobacco and time in contact.

Here is the least convenient tool- you have to heat the coil in coals and then press it to the top of tobacco. Does not work while driving!

nGM9DZu.jpg

americaman

Part of the Furniture Now
May 1, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
Did you "restore" the look/finish on the rim that had lost a bit of color? (Mineral oil would do it, I think.)

I applied Dunhill polish, let it sit for a few minutes, then used my Dunhill polishing cloth on it by rubbing in circles for a few minutes. Would mineral oil work better?

Reactions: jpmcwjr

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
I've had a few pipes which lost some rim stain due to rubbing with spit. Fortunately have a stain stick which I used to address that.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

americaman

Part of the Furniture Now
May 1, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
I've had a few pipes which lost some rim stain due to rubbing with spit. Fortunately have a stain stick which I used to address that.

This happened to me on my Peterson Summertime pipe, and I know it happened to me because the stain is blue. As I wiped the spit off, blue stain came off as well on the paper towel; but others are saying that it’s perfectly fine.

How does a stain stick work and what does it do?

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
It's a stain touch up stick. I just apply it and immediately take a tissue to it to feather it in and remove the excess stain. Have even used it with old pipes where the stain has faded. The stain sticks come in various brown colors.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I applied Dunhill polish, let it sit for a few minutes, then used my Dunhill polishing cloth on it by rubbing in circles for a few minutes. Would mineral oil work better?

Dunno. I've used mostly mineral oil, and have found no need for stain or anything else, but then I have no pipes that aren't either brown or black. Most of the black ones are blasts. For them I may use Fiebig's to touch up a light spot.

Reactions: americaman
Status
Not open for further replies.