PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

stogie37

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 24, 2012
Southport, North Carolina
Technically, in my line of work, proselytizing IS what I do. Normally it concerns something of a more eternal nature. Tomorrow, however, two of my colleagues are coming over to my house in the afternoon to learn the fine art of pipe smoking! Somewhere along the way , they picked up that I begin each morning by greeting the sunrise with a pipe, mug of coffee and some meditation / study. A few weeks ago, they each approached me and mentioned how they’ve wanted to learn this art and would I point them in the right direction. Now, this is a rare enough occurrence in our era that I thought I’d share it with you all, but when you consider that I’m a pastor, it’s possibly even more unique. I pastor a large church here in the Carolinas (read; mega-church or McChurch depending on your personal affinity or disdain for that type thing) and while we don’t adhere to quite the conservatism or piety of some of my denominationally bound brothers or sisters, the “vices” are still normally kept discreet. All of that to say; I’m excited to be able to share both my knowledge and smoking goods with them!

I selected a new pipe from my collection to give to each of them, a tamper, lighter, bundle of cleaners and 5 tobaccos to begin with: (a quality aro, lightly cased burley, light english, Balkan and finally a Virginia flake). I made a little descriptor sheet touching on the characteristics of each tobacco and some packing and puffing tips.

Anyway, I may have put more thought into these little gifts than I did my wife’s Christmas present ?

Any of you get a chance to share your love for pipe and leaf with others who show a keen interest?

Would you recommend including anything else?

Bowie

Oct 24, 2019
Minnesota
This is a great opportunity, and your gifts are generous. My only addition would be to refer them to this forum for additional enlightenment!

Reactions: diamondback

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Maybe toss in a cob so they have a "rotation" and can experience the difference. Cobs are very forgiving to newcomers, also.

Advise them that any new and interesting blends they encounter should be sampled and approved by their spiritual advisor.... ⛪

View attachment 12911
I always recommend a cob to a new piper for two reasons. They are gentler and if you don't use it not a big loss.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
Technically, in my line of work, proselytizing IS what I do. Normally it concerns something of a more eternal nature. Tomorrow, however, two of my colleagues are coming over to my house in the afternoon to learn the fine art of pipe smoking! Somewhere along the way , they picked up that I begin each morning by greeting the sunrise with a pipe, mug of coffee and some meditation / study. A few weeks ago, they each approached me and mentioned how they’ve wanted to learn this art and would I point them in the right direction. Now, this is a rare enough occurrence in our era that I thought I’d share it with you all, but when you consider that I’m a pastor, it’s possibly even more unique. I pastor a large church here in the Carolinas (read; mega-church or McChurch depending on your personal affinity or disdain for that type thing) and while we don’t adhere to quite the conservatism or piety of some of my denominationally bound brothers or sisters, the “vices” are still normally kept discreet. All of that to say; I’m excited to be able to share both my knowledge and smoking goods with them!

I selected a new pipe from my collection to give to each of them, a tamper, lighter, bundle of cleaners and 5 tobaccos to begin with: (a quality aro, lightly cased burley, light english, Balkan and finally a Virginia flake). I made a little descriptor sheet touching on the characteristics of each tobacco and some packing and puffing tips.

Anyway, I may have put more thought into these little gifts than I did my wife’s Christmas present ?

Any of you get a chance to share your love for pipe and leaf with others who show a keen interest?

Very cool idea. I hope they enjoy learning as much as you will enjoy teaching

smokeyweb

Dec 29, 2013
Keep it simple and fun, and don’t overburden them with vast “knowledge.” Not all pipe smokers will want to nerd out on the hobby like some of us do. Teach them the basics of packing and tamping and field questions as they come. And maybe dry their tobacco out a bit beforehand so it’s easier to stay lit.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA

Must be hard to buy pipes after that vow of poverty..... oh wait........

• Haha
Reactions: diamondback

vates

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 16, 2019
I had an urge to smoke in a pleasant company. So I bought a 3-pack of MM cobs. Added some bulk tobacco and cheap/DIY tampers. And gave it to my non-smoking friends. Now I have a little and cozy pipe-club :)

Status
Not open for further replies.