Status
Not open for further replies.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
No realli! She was Karving her initials øn the møøse with the sharpened end

of an interspace tøøthbrush given her by Svenge - her brother-in-law -an Oslo

dentist and star of many Norwegian møvies: "The Høt Hands of an Oslo

Dentist", "Fillings of Passion", "The Huge Mølars of Horst Nordfink"...
We apologise for the fault in the

subtitles. Those responsible have been

sacked.
Mynd you, møøse bites Kan be pretty nasti...
We apologise again for the fault in the

subtitles. Those responsible for sacking

the people who have just been sacked,

have been sacked.

momeerphil

Might Stick Around
Oct 26, 2009
The wit, humor and indulgence of the pipe smoking community is fully on display in this thread! One reason I value being a member!

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I've had Penzance and Stonehaven. They're both terrible. I wouldn't bother hunting either one, let alone wasting cellar space on them.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
For whatever reason, the description of Penzance did not leave me wanting to try it. I'm enjoying the enthusiasm of others in pursuing it however.

stickframer

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2015
As a member who admits to posting 1 thread about this Esoterica swill, I agree with the above proposition. At the time of the post, I was intrigued by the chance to secure a tin from said blender. With trepidation I went through with the post, for the benefit of others in my position, although there was some tingling and mild discomfort experienced afterwards for contributing to the hysteria. I now say enough! Enough tingling! Enough discomfort! How many tears must be shed?

gregprince

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 29, 2014
I just got home, saw the opening post and was about to rise to second the motion for the sake of opening it to the floor for discussion. I guess we didn't need a second. While I have the floor though I will withdraw my motion to ban all threads bashing Dunhills because someone else discovered that they're expensive. We can concede that point by acclamation.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I suppose they could all be amalgamated into one giant thread. An idea whose execution, fortunately, not up to me, or thee, but one for which the Mods pull down the big bucks.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
The internet, and most especially internet forums, are one of the few remnants of the Wild West remaining in modern life. Deception and all manner of other low-life

and low brow activity abounds, allowed by the anonymity of the digital interface.
Forums, however, though only occasionally afflicted by criminals, are no stranger to those who will say anything, given half a chance. The opportunity to be a bigshot by "winning" the thread, that is dominating and having the so-called best argument, are such that from time to time most, including myself, post not to engage in a discussion, but to acquire the debatable prize of momentary online fame. Again, I have done this, and worse.
Beginners post their wonderments, which is all good and not anything I would like to be different. And pipe smokers are thoughtful in general, and some are downright analytical. When the two co-occur, the wonderment generated in seeking to establish a relationship between them can result in humorous threads. There is no relationship; just a mind that seeks to know everything about pipe smoking. I used to post such threads regularly. Responses ranged from nothing to "no, you idiot!" But because I wanted to know everything, I persevered, and many times did so alone; which didn't deter me either. What can I say? I've always had a busy head.
Which (finally, you gasp) brings me to the OP urging the restriction of Esoterica threads. In short, it won't work! If civil, and sometimes even when not, you can say anything on an internet forum! It's entirely hopeless to try to control members' tongues. When I was courting a member of a culture known for its volubility, I remember sitting in the kitchen with my fiance and two other family members among at least three concurrent conversations. No one listened, or if they did, they did so waiting for that choice moment when they could say what they wanted to say that had little or nothing to do with whatever the current speaker was saying. It was a free-for-all. I turned to my fiance's father at one point, indicating that I felt bombarded by the conversational style, and he looked at me and said, "Mike, in our family. . .when you have nothing to say, say it!!"
This reminds me of the forums. Stating one's opinion, right or wrong, considered or only manufactured in the moment, is the rule, and it is not difficult to find posts governed by ego rather than helpful to the community.
Ride 'em, cowboy!

shanelktown

Lifer
Feb 10, 2015
This isn't a bad idea.... Besides there are way bigger matters to talk about involving the future of pipe smoking.

kanada

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 8, 2014
I would tell your friend to do what I do when I see a P or S thread...don't look at it. Make a new thread about something they themselves enjoy talking about and then they won't feel obligated to click on every Esoterica thread...

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I think the biggest issue with the Esoterica threads is that they either start out as, or turn into pi$$ing contests. Posting about a new pipe or tobacco clues the rest of us into a new carver or brand we may like to try, but Penzance and Stonehaven have been done to death. I second the motion for an Esoterica specific sticky so as to not clutter up the forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.