PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
Hallelujah! Meanwhile,We here in our nanny State are expecting another slam on tobacco, which means a fiver pack of inferior quality 'gas station' cigars will set you back for $ 10, a 1,75 oz pouch of Amphora or tin of Peterson/S&G tobacco will be around $ 32 and a pack of factory cigarettes runs about $ 10
and some complain at the price possibly going to 17$.:oops:
The US has had it good for a long while but is slowly catching up with elsewhere.
Cellar hard and deep folks
I am trying my best but with import restrictions and the rubbish local selections it is hard

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
It's all those people who like to ban things. You know the type. Weak, unpopular at school, usually with personal hygiene issues, the type no one wanted to socialize with or avoided like the plague. Later in life they develop a love of sitting on 'committees' and slowly working their way up to positions of authority due to the mass of the populations apathy. The world allowed it happen and until enough people say enough or become more effective bullies at school to snuff these types out you will have to live with the consequences chaps!

EssJaySea

Can't Leave
May 12, 2021
Sebastopol, CA
I've read that Rep. Jim Clyburn -- among the House leaders and one with a lot of pull with President Biden after giving him a critical endorsement -- is one who has already raised concerns about the size of these increases as lower-income Americans and people of color are more likely to be smokers. So the tax would affect them more. So I would agree with @sablebrush52 that a smaller increase is much more likely.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
It's all those people who like to ban things. You know the type. Weak, unpopular at school, usually with personal hygiene issues, the type no one wanted to socialize with or avoided like the plague. Later in life they develop a love of sitting on 'committees' and slowly working their way up to positions of authority due to the mass of the populations apathy. The world allowed it happen and until enough people say enough or become more effective bullies at school to snuff these types out you will have to live with the consequences chaps!

Truth is, very many people do "something bad" and there really isn't any justification to protect people from doing one "bad" thing to themselves, but not another "bad" thing. I mean we could advocate for banning sugary candy and fast food on the basis that the modern world has an obesity problem, but why interfere with people's lives in that manner?

As someone who takes pride in being able to understand perspectives that I disagree with, this is one perspective that I just cannot understand.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
I've read that Rep. Jim Clyburn -- among the House leaders and one with a lot of pull with President Biden after giving him a critical endorsement -- is one who has already raised concerns about the size of these increases as lower-income Americans and people of color are more likely to be smokers. So the tax would affect them more. So I would agree with @sablebrush52 that a smaller increase is much more likely.

Agreed. Politicians do not want to do things that are not politically expedient. Big tobacco still carries a lot of weight, and politicians will find ways to avoid torpedoing big tobacco (and ultimately, themselves), and instead will take an incremental approach for now.

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
W
Truth is, very many people do "something bad" and there really isn't any justification to protect people from doing one "bad" thing to themselves, but not another "bad" thing. I mean we could advocate for banning sugary candy and fast food on the basis that the modern world has an obesity problem, but why interfere with people's lives in that manner?

As someone who takes pride in being able to understand perspectives that I disagree with, this is one perspective that I just cannot understand.
Watching NYC toy with sugary drink limits was kind of amusing though when it impacted such a large portion of the public.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and JOHN72

EssJaySea

Can't Leave
May 12, 2021
Sebastopol, CA

It sounds like we have the beginnings to a new, high-powered special interest in DC: PSAFF, or Pipe Smokers Against Fast Food. Surely there's a group on K Street willing to burn through our money on this quixotic effort!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Back in 2012 I predicted that we were going to get nailed with taxes and other nastiness from the FDA. I was told I was just being a Pollyanna and to just stop it.
I will say I told you so anytime we get nailed with something from the FDA. I told you so didn't I? It is just the beginning of the taxes you are just beginning to get hit with.

Once I saw how the state of Florida nailed the pipe tobacco business with an 85% tax on the wholesale price of pipe tobacco, I knew it was just a matter of time before the entire country gets nailed with pipe tobacco taxes. Of course cigars didn't get hit with any tax here in Florida.

Reactions: JOHN72
Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
I think this was referencing Bloomberg's efforts to get rid of super size sugary drinks? There probably is some legislation here in CA on a similar front. Berkeley tends to be out front on these issues.
Currect, his soda ban in 2012/13. Was interesting watching the local reactions at the time.

EssJaySea

Can't Leave
May 12, 2021
Sebastopol, CA
The Washington Post has a decent story on this issue -- there may be paywall issues, but it is here: https://www.washingtonpost.com/us-policy/2021/09/15/congress-cigarettes-vaping-tax/

The story makes it seem like vaping is really the focus, although cigarette taxes would rise, too. A couple of quick excerpts:

"But the ideas still have brought fresh criticism, particularly from Republicans, who also oppose the broader thrust of President Biden’s economic agenda. Tobacco excise taxes are assessed on companies, which generally pass the expenses to consumers in the form of price increases. To GOP lawmakers, the higher taxes put Democrats at risk of violating Biden’s promise during the 2020 campaign not to raise rates on Americans who make less than $400,000 each year."

and

"The little-noticed tobacco taxes aroused discussion a day before that deadline, as the House Ways and Means Committee continued its marathon stretch of legislative sessions to write the fuller bill. The proposal put forward by the panel’s chairman, Rep. Richard E. Neal (D-Mass.), aims to increase rates using a complicated set of calculations based on the type of tobacco product, its sale weight or total nicotine content."

Status
Not open for further replies.