PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimbo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2010
I have run this suggestion by a few guys and had mixed responses.
To me, the biggest obstacle in promoting our pipe smoking hobby is getting a POSITIVE opinion of pipe smokers established with the PUBLIC. WE know we are a bunch of great guys and it's a great hobby, but that's preaching to the choir. Who else should know? Answer: the non-smokers who will ALLOW our hobby to continue! Or NOT!
If every B&M in the country would sponsor a large, half-page ad (like this one I put together) in their local newspaper picturing famous American Pipe Smokers, I think it would foster better feelings toward pipe smokers, and even increase the traffic to the B&Ms. People would see the eye-catching ad and say, "Wow, Einstein was a genius" or "I always admired Mark Twain". They may be surprised that some of these leaders in their professions were/are pipe smokers! They may logically follow this with, "I think I'll try a pipe", and run down to their local pipe shop and we'd have a new pipe smoker in our ranks.
I realize that getting the rights to the pictures for advertising purposes may be daunting, but would such a project be worth it in the long run? I hope it would.
I'm asking for feedback. Your opinion? Thanks.
Jim McCoy
I can't get the photo to post here, so please click on (or copy/paste) this link:
http://www.villagephotos.com/members/image.aspx?i=26655678

greggors

Can't Leave
Oct 5, 2010
Mississauga ON Canada
Great Idea, getting pipes back into the mainstream would be fantastic!
As far as the link goes, its not working. Might only be able to view the pic from your account I'm guessing. I just created an account to see the pic and got the message " An error has ocurred: Invalid image ID." maybe try hosting the pic on photobucket or your forum user page?

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
We've had IPSD going for a few years now.

http://www.ipsd.eu/

Publicity is a double-edge sword. Sometimes it's better to stay on the QT.

jimbo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2010
Thanks for the feedback.
The original link worked when I tested it. I tried uploading to my Album here, but there is a size limit and my picture is 1000 pixels wide. So I tried PhotoBucket. I can't get the original size there either, but the 790 pixel image should give you a good idea:
PSD-full-1_1000wide.jpg

daveinlax, I have heard about the International Pipe Smokers Day, but WHO outside the pipe fraternity has? Nobody. This idea is about AMERICAN pipe smokers that the public has heard of (favorably, I hope) and is for the American PUBLIC'S education/consumption.
I strategically chose a SATURDAY in the middle of October to hit the papers before voting starts (in a voting year). That makes more sense to me than the IPSD's February date.
Of course, the date is past now, but I hope you get the idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.