PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mahew

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 30, 2017
Kentucky Hills and Hollers
Hello all. My wife and I are looking at property in Kentucky. Maybe some acreage, maybe an old home in a quaint downtown. I was wondering if anyone here had some suggested areas to check out? Thanks!

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Greets Mahew. I'm a lifelong Kentuckian but I've always lived in Louisville and Lexington. I have no idea about property prices and how they fluctuate dependong on the part of the state, but I would try to stay within a 40-50 miles of Louisville, Lexington, or Florence because that's where the good tobacconists are!
Bardstown and the surrounding area is very pretty and has been recognized as an awesome small town, one of the best in America.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'd vote for the property in town, because town centers need population and activity. I'd vote for towns surrounding Lexington, just because that's the city I know a little better. bluegrass knows the area, so he's a source.

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
Lexington here. I would also cast a vote for Bardstown, which is just down the Bluegrass Parkway from Lexington. Another hidden gem of a town is Russellville, the closest city to which is Clarksville, Tennessee. Clarksville is home of Briar & Bean, a pretty good tobacconist with a good smoking area and lots of cigar and pipe guys, due to the soldiers from Fort Campbell. Really anywhere in the South Central region (you know, dark fired country) would get my vote.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Expat from Louisville here; nice area & not too expensive unless you go out into some of the tonier upscale areas like Anchorage, or some of the high-rents in places like Oldham County. J. Paul Tucker's Oxmoor Smoke Shoppe in Louisville is a smallish but nice tobacconist's. :) https://www.facebook.com/oxmoorsmokeshoppe/
Bill

mahew

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 30, 2017
Kentucky Hills and Hollers
Thanks for the feedback! Going to start looking around Lexington and go from there. We have spent a little time in Louisville and Bardstown, but never been around Lexington. Seemed logical to check that out first.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
More than you may want to know about the KY Anchorage:
The land that is now Anchorage was a part of Isaac Hite's 1773 land grant, which awarded most of the land in today's Jefferson County to officers in the Virginia militia, in exchange for their service in the French and Indian War. Early maps refer to the area as "Hite's Mill",[citation needed] and it has also been known as "Hobbs Station".[4] Part of Hite's original grant now makes up the grounds of Central State Hospital and E. P. "Tom" Sawyer State Park.
The nautical name is a bit odd, considering the city is over 12 miles (19 km) from the Ohio River. The origin is The Anchorage, the estate of riverboat captain and early resident James W. Goslee, and was chosen to honor him when the city incorporated in 1878, three years after his death. Tradition says that an anchor hanging inside the rim of a locomotive wheel at the center of town was taken by Goslee from his ship, the Matamora.
The Louisville and Frankfort Railroad (later purchased by the Louisville & Nashville Railroad) was built through the area in 1849. The development of an interurban rail line in 1901 allowed faster travel between Anchorage and Louisville, as well as other towns in the area.
The heavily shaded city, with temperatures often noticeably cooler than in Downtown Louisville, became a popular location for summer homes for wealthy Louisvillians. One such resident was brewing magnate Isaac Wolfe Bernheim, still remembered locally for his philanthropy. In 1914, Bernheim commissioned the firm of Frederick Law Olmsted to design a plan for Anchorage, which would incorporate stone bridges and triangle intersections, similar to Olmsted's plans for Louisville's park system.
The city has long been known as home of some of the area's wealthiest citizens, though the large old estates have mostly been divided up and many new, still upscale, houses have been built in the area, especially since 1977. Part of the city is designated as the Anchorage Historic District, which was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1982.
Papa John's Pizza founder John Schnatter is a resident and owns about 6% of the land in Anchorage, including much of the city center. He restored an interurban rail station, three historic buildings and built a fourth in a similar style in the city's center, with plans to build a bank, an upscale restaurant, and a hiking trail, which opened as the Anchorage Trail in June 2008. In an interview, he told the Courier-Journal that his goal was purely to "preserve the city's character".[5]

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
-chuckle- Anchorage has been home to a number of rich guys who didn't want to say they were from Louisville when running for office.
As far as many KYians go, there are two KYs, Louisville & the rest of the commonwealth. }:)
Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.