PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

bradical

Might Stick Around
Dec 1, 2018
I listen patiently to what the tin is saying and acknowledge that it probably had a long day at work, probably has a headache, and the other tins make it feel fat. After a while it loosens a up and I get what I want without forcing it open like the younger bucks above.
This
animated-smileys-laughing-012.gif

milehighpiper

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2018
Denver, CO
I have this on my key ring. It has multiple uses, especially for travelling(TSA compliant). You can have a dull edge to cut open bags, boxes, snacks and even to pry open a stubborn tin. Coins, keys, booger pickers and knives can work, but this works for me...
gerber-shard-5.jpg

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
I am sure there's the random TSA guy or gal who'll confiscate that in a heartbeat. Looks pretty cool, though.

Yeah, they'll confiscate it because they want it for their own.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
"The right technique" (!?) That is an exaggeration, there is no such thing as right technique, although the 12 ga shotgun may be proof that I am wrong :rofl:

odobenus

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 15, 2018
Vermont
Sounds like my flat-head technique is not so absurd after all, though I like the sweet-talking, the crowbar, and the shotgun. Better have tungsten, bismuth or steel shot, though -- I don't want to smoke lead.

Reactions: hawky454

twangthang

Can't Leave
Sep 15, 2012
Gave a guy I met on the walking trail a tin of Blackhaus after he told me he liked Balkan Sobranie. Thought it was the right thing to do. He was down on his luck and living in a halfway house. Saw him weeks later and asked him how he liked the tobacco. Told me he couldn’t get the tin open. I tried to explain it was vacuum sealed and all he needed to do was pry the edge a bit. He just looked at me blankly like I was a moron and told me he knew that. Ok... then if you know... but I suggested he just put a small hole in the top of the tin and that should relieve the pressure. Looked at me with that same “you really are that stupid” look and told me he tried that.

I gave up.

Wonder if he ever got to the tobacco.

Dec 24, 2012
I will be offering my course again this year. Please PM me for details. For some history, read:
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/dhow-do-you-open-a-new-tin-of-tobacco
My favourite testimonial from papipeguy: "Before I took Peck's tin opening course my fingers were bloody stumps. With his careful tutelage I became adept at tin opening without using my mouth and have had satisfactory results going forward. I can't wait to take his advanced "Using A Match" course since I have no eyebrows anymore."
MNrYb3c.jpg

techie

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2018
I use the tip of a butter knife since the dinnerware drawer is under the counter where I usually open tins.
Ya, I know, not a very exciting answer.