PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

990rick

Might Stick Around
Mar 25, 2011
I was just getting my stuff together to attempt my first repair of a cracked shank and I discovered that I can't really get a good, solid grip on the oval shank with a c-clamp. I'm thinking I may have to carve round depressions into a couple of small wood blocks in order to be able to clamp the shank securely, but before I proceed with this I was wondering if there's a specific clamp available for this kind of work. If anyone has any ideas, please enlighten me. Thanks.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I usually use super glue for cracked shanks. Just a matter of a finger squeeze until the glue grabs.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I don't care for the foam from Gorilla Glue. Having tried it out in the wood shop I no longer buy it. Tite Bond II is far better for wood.

fullbent

Can't Leave
May 6, 2011
Loctite makes a super glue,I bought it at dollar store.Make sure you set it where you want it,Its instant weld,lol.Use the least that you can,it is very thin,it will run when pressure is applied,if you apply to much.I let a huge Nording freehand fly out of my hands on the carnuba buffer and broke the shank at the bowl :oops: ,after glue,1200 grit wet sand,tripoli,and carnuba,it wasnt noticable...Good luck

990rick

Might Stick Around
Mar 25, 2011
Well, I figured out that I only needed to clamp the shank for a minute after gluing, so I used a pair of pliers and a folded rag. The glue was epoxy, a kind that comes out of two tubes and mixes at the head. I cut a willow switch and stripped the bark and used it to spread the cracks just a teensy bit, worked the epoxy in with a toothpick, cleaned the excess off with turpentine and I'll see how the shanks hold. I think I might invest in a small hobby vise for future work of this nature though. Anyway, thanks for the input everybody.

zunismoke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 3, 2010
NC
I have used super glue for shank cracks, works very well. It also works great for fixing cracks in bamboo.

davebell30

Lurker
Apr 23, 2011
I cut an old bicycle tire innertube into approximate 1/4" strips and use them as stretch clamps on any round or oddly shaped repair. I also place a piece of plastic bag or saran wrap over cracks before stretching the tubing. This helps to keep any excess glue from sticking to the rubber tubing.

Status
Not open for further replies.