Status
Not open for further replies.

Cotton1

Can't Leave
Nov 3, 2020
South Carolina
I love em, I got em now days!
IMG_20210207_215852760.jpg

Eventually I will remember to take before pictures before I take action.

So it's a don't know, Grabow, don't know. I will get more pictures tomorrow and maybe some of you can help me understand what these are. They were gifted to me and I have just began to explore the world of briar pipes...much to learn!

I'm excited to get things going on these as that puts me a little closer to enjoying a bowl in them. I have a few more after these.

I also hope if any of you have some on going "projects" you will jump in here.

Salt bath for the bowls con Everclear, a little hot water and some majic eraser for the stems tonight. Tomorrow will be Flitz on the stems and a little bath for the bowls.

Cotton1

Cotton1

Can't Leave
Nov 3, 2020
South Carolina
I got little done so far today. I did learn that my "row to hoe" is longer than I thought.

Until this morning I thought the Grabow stem was supposed to be Brown...lol at me!

Just had a few minutes with the magic eraser and had to be off getting some things done. Hopefully, I will get to spend a little time on these tonight and tomorrow.
IMG_20210208_192437515.jpg

Cotton1

Can't Leave
Nov 3, 2020
South Carolina
I could be a picky soul but am of mind to move ahead with two of the three. I can't wait to share a bowl with my new friends after all.

This one I don't know much about other than it has England stamped pretty clearly and what looks like " Made London" very faint above the England stamp. It has a small bowl and I think I will have some VA base in it firstly.

Reactions: Devil Anse

Cotton1

Can't Leave
Nov 3, 2020
South Carolina
I have enjoyed trying to learn about this other one. It is apparently made in England by a smaller maker that has been around for a long time. I still don't have much info on this very pipe really.

I do see a "Sherwood.. Select Briar" on one side and a number on the bottom of the mortise..232 I think, and Blakemar Briar on the other side. I'm ready to get some leaf burning in this one.

IMG_20210212_213545913.jpg

IMG_20210212_213602674.jpg

Cotton1

Can't Leave
Nov 3, 2020
South Carolina
A little bit of time to spend on the good Doctor Grabow yet, but I hope to have a bowl in all three of these before Monday.. will update.

Please, please...if anybody else has some on going projects my hope is that you will share them here.

Cotton1

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
You are doing great. Two important resources for pipes are pipedia.org and pipephil.eu

Blakemar is a great small shop.

The bent made in England is a pipe that started out with great aspirations but didn’t make the cut. So no makers mark.

Cotton1

Can't Leave
Nov 3, 2020
South Carolina
You are doing great. Two important resources for pipes are pipedia.org and pipephil.eu

Blakemar is a great small shop.

The bent made in England is a pipe that started out with great aspirations but didn’t make the cut. So no makers mark.
I will check the resources, thanks!

Also.. thanks for the kind words and info on the bent. I appreciate it!

Cotton1

Can't Leave
Nov 3, 2020
South Carolina
Great job on those 2 pipes. Congrats.

Also check Rebornpipes. Steve Laug has done some amazing rescues.
Al "ss jones" (moderator) also posts his restos on that site.

Thank You much! I will check out that sight.

This makes me want to pick up the brown stemmed Kaywoodie with the thick caked bowl I saw in a local antique shop.
Ha ha, I have been thinking about looking in antique shops for future projects. I am really having fun and it's been great practice for being patient...for me anyway.

I don't have a Kaywoodie yet but those stems are interesting to me. I was thinking about buying a new one but I think they just have regular push in stems now.

Now go get that pipe and post it here please!

Status
Not open for further replies.