PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

DeadJetty

Lurker
Jun 17, 2024
Washington State, USA
Love how it's looking! When's the next update? 200?
I'm sure I'll get there soon!
I bought the pipe on 3/25 and finished 100 bowls on 5/24. It's at 166 now. I'm slowly posting updates to reflect its mishaps and journey to the present day, which I hope fits the thread style better. The next update will show a failed stem I engineered for it.

• Love
Reactions: AroEnglish

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I know that Paykoc isn't as well-regarded as buying from specific carvers like, say, Altinay or Baki
I'd take a Paykoc over either. I've had a Baki and the draw was terrible. Altinay has said some nonchalant comments about quality in the past that will prevent me from ever buying one.

Reactions: DeadJetty

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
After many years of smoking Meerschaum pipes, ive learned some good tips for a perfect and even coloring.
An even, brown, baby shit brown, patina just looks like the owner isn't patient enough to go for a natural, deep brown/black coloring. But, it's a personal choice to be sure. I simply prefer a natural coloring as befits the mineral. I never piss off Mother Nature when possible. bdw

DeadJetty

Lurker
Jun 17, 2024
Washington State, USA
Failed Experiment with Flamed Maple

I must confess, I'm a sucker for churchwardens. At around 115 bowls, I fashioned this from a pen blank of flamed maple:

05   115 bowls.jpg

I thought it fit the style and allowed me to hold it better when reading (yes, I hold by the bowl). It was fun to look at.
Before too long, it started showing brown spots. Turns out, even with a finish, the moisture permeated the wood! It looked terrible. It was not in line with my pleasant experiments with rock maple, and I will avoid flame in the future. I ended up throwing it out and switched back to the orange acrylic stem eventually.

It was fun while it lasted.

Reactions: pipenschmoeker123

DeadJetty

Lurker
Jun 17, 2024
Washington State, USA
150 bowl update

Here is my pipe after 150 bowls smoked (pictures taken on 7/01).

I did not continue to wax it, and it was not heated up during smoking for the photos this time (it gains more color when smoked). The silver band felt rough so I polished it up.

I wipe it out with a paper towel between smokes and occasionally give the chamber a sanding with 400 grit to remove cake. I know this isn't necessary, but I don't like much cake in any of my pipes. If it smells off I give it a very light cleaning inside with bourbon. Otherwise I treat it normally, hold by the bowl, etc.

The tobacco used has been approx. 60% aromatics, 20% virginia blends and 20% latakia-heavy English blends.

I'm excited to see where it goes!
Next update will be at 200 bowls.

08  150 bowls.jpg
09  150 bowls.jpg

Last edited:

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
150 bowl update

Here is my pipe after 150 bowls smoked (pictures taken on 7/01).

I did not continue to wax it, and it was not heated up during smoking for the photos this time (it gains more color when smoked). The silver band felt rough so I polished it up.

I wipe it out with a paper towel between smokes and occasionally give the chamber a sanding with 400 grit to remove cake. I know this isn't necessary, but I don't like much cake in any of my pipes. If it smells off I give it a very light cleaning inside with bourbon. Otherwise I treat it normally, hold by the bowl, etc.

The tobacco used has been approx. 60% aromatics, 20% virginia blends and 20% latakia-heavy English blends.

I'm excited to see where it goes!
Next update will be at 200 bowls.

View attachment 323167
View attachment 323168
Keeps looking better! Thanks for sharing!

Sig

Can't Leave
Jul 18, 2023
Western NY
Pressed meer, you can tell by the even coloring instead of the color starting at the shank as well as the shape of the circles in the lattice, for some reason the Chinese manufacturing machines make the circles a little slanted and we all know it's Paycok! ;)
Ive had many very fine block Meers and never had a single one darken at the shank first. They have ALL colored perfectly even.
Its all about the use of white beeswax as far as I was told by several long time Meer aficionados and Turkish carvers.

PipeMarc

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 14, 2017
South East
I have never owned a meer. After coming across several of these “meer challenge” posts where a smoker smokes it consistently for a month to see what type of color it forms, I have begun looking for one.

DeadJetty

Lurker
Jun 17, 2024
Washington State, USA
I have never owned a meer. After coming across several of these “meer challenge” posts where a smoker smokes it consistently for a month to see what type of color it forms, I have begun looking for one.
Good luck to you! It's fun.
I've averaged 11 bowls/ week in it so far (172 bowls in 108 days), but am going to drop that down to 2-3 per week. I have really been missing my non-meer pipes for the additional flavor they impart, especially olive. It will take me longer to reach 200 now but it'll happen. You're welcome to post your progress pics here if you'd like.

Reactions: PipeMarc

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
An even, brown, baby shit brown, patina just looks like the owner isn't patient enough to go for a natural, deep brown/black coloring. But, it's a personal choice to be sure. I simply prefer a natural coloring as befits the mineral. I never piss off Mother Nature when possible. bdw
I have a confession. I've had a picture of your meerschaum downloaded for years now. It's the most magnificent pipe I've ever seen. Literally oozing cake out of its pores. 🫠

geoffs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 21, 2022
Ontario
I have a confession. I've had a picture of your meerschaum downloaded for years now. It's the most magnificent pipe I've ever seen. Literally oozing cake out of its pores. 🫠
You can't say this without sharing the pic....

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Looks like it's coming along nicely. Keep it up!
I have a few meerschaum pipes that I wax from time to time, every couple of years, and others that I've never waxed. You can see a difference initially, but over time the pipe reverts back to its natural color as it sits. Is it necessary to re-wax, no but it's something I do with a couple of them. I basically do it as an experiment for comparison purposes.

My issue with coloring meers is that I have 20 meers, 18 of which I smoke, but I don't smoke enough to keep the color up. Especially when I add my briars and cigars into the mix. As they sit they lose color as you know, and I try to rotate through them but it's not enough to really progress the coloring like others do. With time they'll get there, but it's going to be a long time. One day they might look like the one Warren has. I'll check back in 30 years. LOL

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Looks like it's coming along nicely. Keep it up!
I have a few meerschaum pipes that I wax from time to time, every couple of years, and others that I've never waxed. You can see a difference initially, but over time the pipe reverts back to its natural color as it sits. Is it necessary to re-wax, no but it's something I do with a couple of them. I basically do it as an experiment for comparison purposes.

My issue with coloring meers is that I have 20 meers, 18 of which I smoke, but I don't smoke enough to keep the color up. Especially when I add my briars and cigars into the mix. As they sit they lose color as you know, and I try to rotate through them but it's not enough to really progress the coloring like others do. With time they'll get there, but it's going to be a long time. One day they might look like the one Warren has. I'll check back in 30 years. LOL
I want so many more meers, but right, they won't color as they should.