PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
Hello friends,
I have decided to return the fold here at Pipes Magazine after a five year absence. I gave up pipe smoking for some health reasons, but I am back in the saddle because I surmised that my health will never get any better than it is now and I have chosen to enjoy some aged tobacco while I can!
Things have changed so much in the pipe community since I was last active in these forums. To resist temptation, I stayed away from following tobacco news or making purchases until January of this year and I quickly saw how much the landscape had changed. Sometimes for the better, sometimes for the worst!
Beyond the looming regulatory threats, I was greatly saddened by the demise of McClelland just as I was planning to stock up on their fine blends for the long haul. Losing this exceptional company is a terrible blow, but they leave behind an incredible legacy. I will enjoy all the sweet Virginias I have left from those magicians in Kansas City while I reminisce about all the lost ways of producing tobacco!
On the plus side, there seems to be no shortage of enthusiasm about pipe tobacco and it is great to still see new pipe smokers still embracing the hobby/habit despite all the challenges facing the industry. So many great new blends have surfaced since my departure - even though I won't hold my breath, I sincerely hope that they are given some sort of reprieve from those executioners at the FDA...
I am also glad to see some familiar faces and names here on the forums despite my long absence. It looks like many old forum buddies have left the scene, including some who have sadly passed away, but I am glad that a considerable number of people remain active here. A lot of the other sites I used to follow have hollowed out or shut down altogether so Pipes Magazine remains as an oasis for pipe smoking knowledge and camaraderie in that sense...
Anyway, I hope you can all forgive me for my sudden but surprisingly long absence! There were numerous good people on this site that I lost touch with as a result of me putting my pipes aside and I regret not having stayed in contact despite my personal difficulties. I had honestly intended to check in around here to stay abreast of the news but it felt necessary for me to distance myself from pipe smoking altogether. My TAD is too strong to resist - quitting cold turkey seemed like the only way to go.
Looking back, I suppose it is no coincidence that my mom had a history of calling me the prodigal son as I had a tendency to disappear for long stretches. Some things never change!
With that said, I'm back on the forums now and I am hoping to stick around for a spell. Five years really passed in a flash! It's been a wake-up call that I better enjoy what I can, while I can and smoke my pipes in moderation since it is something I have truly missed.
I don't know if anyone remembers me but I look forward to chatting with you all once again and contributing to this community in some small way.
Cheers!

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Welcome back. I guess you can take the man out of the hobby, but you can’t take the hobby out of the man.

yohanan

Lifer
Oct 1, 2011
Old Belt/U.S.A.
welcome_back_3.gif

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
As a (relative) noob, with John, Mike, & the others I'm glad to see your return.
I know the feeling -- I was out of pipe "commission" for a couple of *decades*, so the culture shock was even more profound for me. However the good counterpoints are that the current core of smokers is a passionate group, & the current crop of "providers" are as good as anything that was available back in the glory days. :)
Your return & presence is most assuredly welcome!
Bill

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Welcome back aboard. If you'd chosen, you could have just posted on some other subject and seen if there were any comments. Take good care of your health; all things in moderation. In contrast, I am the prodigal poster. A little more silence from me might be appreciated.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
Thank you all for the warm welcome!
3rd - My cellar, while much smaller than it could have been, is still intact and maturing nicely. It mainly consists of Virginias but there is a little bit of variety. I have quite a few tins on hand now that are out of production. My main cellar regret is not buying enough McClelland tobacco when I had the chance as their aged leaf is utterly unique. There is no equivalent...
Yes, mso, you seem to have amassed quite a total. I see you have been busy around here!
Bill, thank you very much - it is great to be in your company. I look forward to chatting with you and the other folks around here once again.
I have to say that I enjoy pipe smoking just as much as before. I just wish I was able to smoke as often as I would like! I have so many blends open at once and so little time to enjoy them as I only manage to smoke several times a week...
Escudo, however, is still my favourite.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
You will find that there are those here who smoke once every other week (like myself if I am lucky), and those who imbibe 5 or 6 bowls a day. We all share a common interest, and its the camaraderie that keeps bringing me back.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Welcome back! Glad you are here. Things are quite a bit different now. Hope you transition nicely and fall right back into the PMF groove.

Jul 15, 2011
Just came back to the forums myself for roughly the same reasons Simenon. I always enjoyed seeing you on here and am glad that you decided to come back. Welcome!

Status
Not open for further replies.