Prodigal Son Returns to the Fold

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Just thought I’d say hi whilst sitting in my garden enjoying a pipe. I’m returning to it after many years of non-smoking. In my 60s I find my health isn’t so good (I’m in constant pain and the doctors can’t find what’s wrong) so I thought “Sod it, I don’t know how long I’ve got on this planet so why not enjoy what I can, while I can,” and dug out my old pipes from the drawer.

Back in the ’80s I used to enjoy a pipe when I was fly fishing. There was nothing like taking a break, sitting back and just enjoying a smoke in beautiful surrounding. My main pipe then was a Falcon and I used to enjoy a mersham at home. I wish I still had them but I think they got lost in one of my many house moves. A few years back I bought a church warden from Amazon (the days when you could buy a half decent pipe from them). It’s served me well over the years but I’ve always been a very occasional pipe smoker. I’m not sure the wood it’s made from but I think it could be pear as it smokes quite hot. The problem with it is the bowl is quite small so it’s fine for a 10-15 minute smoke but not much more. In that respect it’s good for fishing forays but I have to break it down for transportation.

A few years ago I bought a briar pipe, again from Amazon, made by A. P. Donovan. I can find nothing about them and my research seems to show they supply men’s accessories nowadays. It was very inexpensive but smokes surprisingly well. Not having smoked in a while I purchased an old favourite baccy - Erinmore Mixture, which I still find really pleasing. But I find myself wanting to get a better pipe and something a little more adventurous in the tobacco line, so any suggestions would be appreciated. I’m not into the heavy Balkan Sobranies anymore though, so be careful with any aromatics please; they need to be light. Also, I’m thinking of either a Peterson or Salvanelli pipe. I do like their version of Bing’s Favourite, but I don’t know how 6mm filters smoke? I do like the 9mm filters of my current pipes so any suggestions for a new pipe need to have a filter please.

Anyway, I’m very much looking forward to reading the threads on this forum and thanks for letting me join your community.

Welcome from Carmel Valley, CA! I edited your title to add capitals per Rule 9.
Perhaps I am too literal (or not literal enough!)- but in what way are you prodigal? :)
”Prodigal“ in that I left the pipe alone for many years and am now retuning to it. I totally forgot exactly how much I enjoyed it until that first puff after nearly 5 years. I’m tired of government/pressure groups telling us how to live life constantly instead of just letting us alone decide what we do. After all the research I’ve done I can’t see pipe smoking is any more dangerous to health than the ultra processed foods we have in our lives. So, while I can, I’m just going to enjoy my pipe.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
Welcome back from New Zealand.

The current selection of tobacco, particuarly online can be overwhelming...

If you click on the link below there is a review of your old favourite:

erinmore mixture review

Then I did an advanced search for blends currently in production that kind of match that profile, just as an example of how to get 10,000 blends down to a more manageable list!

Link below:

similar blends

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Glad to have you here and back in the pipe smoking fold. As to prodigality, you will likely find that trait increasing the longer you’re here 🤑

Reactions: steelarts