PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Sharp_tungsten

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 25, 2021
Evans City Pennsylvania
I just broke an approximately 106 year old meerschaum about 10 minutes ago. This seemed like an appropriate thread the cry on ?.
That is definitely a problem with meerschaum?. The summer or stem or both break?
It just came in the mail today from eBay. Stem was stuck. Gave it a good water flush and got the stem to do a quarter turn with gentle pressure. Because I'm impatient, I gave it a few wiggles back and forth, and then turned a little too hard and broke out a chunk of the shank around the mortise. I just threw it straight in the garbage. Lesson learned.
I want the stem and case lol?

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
It just came in the mail today from eBay. Stem was stuck. Gave it a good water flush and got the stem to do a quarter turn with gentle pressure. Because I'm impatient, I gave it a few wiggles back and forth, and then turned a little too hard and broke out a chunk of the shank around the mortise. I just threw it straight in the garbage. Lesson learned.
Sorry to hear that. It'd smoke fine with home repair. Aesthetics may suffer.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Commiserations. Really sucks when that happens
Have you thought of sending it off to get a repair band ?

Perhaps @condorlover1 or @weezell might care to chime in with possible suggestions

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Normally what you do in those circumstances is (a) cement the broken pieces together and then when they are dry put a silver band around the outside. This was fairly common with 19th century meerschaums as the bands were not added as a decorative after thought. Option (b) is to cut off the broken area thus shortening the shank, drill out the shank and then cement in the bone tenon after checking the stem 'clocking' alignment. Normally it is the faux amber stems that usually shatter but I have seen shanks go as well. @weezell has a small 'cutty' that had a blown out shank that received an option (a) repair and I know for a certain fact he has an option (b) repaired 'cutty' with a silver band and shortened shank.

meercatpat

Lurker
Mar 28, 2014
Massachusetts
You'd be the first person I've ever heard say that. Like clay and porcelain, unless you're a slow smoker like many of us, a meerschaum can heat up very quickly.

@condorlover1
@weezell
Oh, I'm definitely not the first! (From Establishing a Meerschaum Pipe's Value - https://www.antiquetrader.com/collecting-101/material-and-carving-determine-meerschaum-pipes-value) "Unlike pipes made of cherry or briarwood, meerschaum does not interfere with the flavor of tobacco nor does it conduct heat, which leaves the bowl cool to the touch."

Meerschaum is among the most porous naturally-occurring substances on earth, and porous materials with lots of dead air spaces tend to be good insulators rather than good conductors of heat. Metal and glass are great conductors of heat and that's precisely what makes them such horrible pipes.. They won't stay lit because the walls of such bowls suck all of the heat out of the lit mixure within.

I know, I know - practically every meerschaum retailer in the business touts the cooling effects of meerschaum - but their marketing hype has nothing to do with the facts (nor do votes and polls). The world of meerschaum is cluttered with falsehoods and myths. I miss Fred Bass!

Sharp_tungsten

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 25, 2021
Evans City Pennsylvania
Oh, I'm definitely not the first! (From Establishing a Meerschaum Pipe's Value - https://www.antiquetrader.com/collecting-101/material-and-carving-determine-meerschaum-pipes-value) "Unlike pipes made of cherry or briarwood, meerschaum does not interfere with the flavor of tobacco nor does it conduct heat, which leaves the bowl cool to the touch."

Meerschaum is among the most porous naturally-occurring substances on earth, and porous materials with lots of dead air spaces tend to be good insulators rather than good conductors of heat. Metal and glass are great conductors of heat and that's precisely what makes them such horrible pipes.. They won't stay lit because the walls of such bowls suck all of the heat out of the lit mixure within.

I know, I know - practically every meerschaum retailer in the business touts the cooling effects of meerschaum - but their marketing hype has nothing to do with the facts (nor do votes and polls). The world of meerschaum is cluttered with falsehoods and myths. I miss Fred Bass!
Do you smoke meerschaums? If so what kind and brand do you have?

Reactions: TheWhale13

meercatpat

Lurker
Mar 28, 2014
Massachusetts
Do you smoke meerschaums? If so what kind and brand do you have?
You'd be the first person I've ever heard say that. Like clay and porcelain, unless you're a slow smoker like many of us, a meerschaum can heat up very quickly.

@condorlover1
@weezell
First, let me apologize for being an engineer. Here is the definition of thermal conductivity: What is Thermal Conductivity - Definition - https://www.thermal-engineering.org/what-is-thermal-conductivity-definition/ There is also a table listing the thermal conductivity values of various materials. (the lower the number, the better it insulates; the higher the number, the better it conducts heat) Note that air and cotton have extremely low thermal conductivity values. Now, from a product listing for "sepiolite meerschaum block": 1 - 2.3 Density Meerschaum Block High Placticity For Cigaretes Filtertip - http://www.sepiolitepowder.com/sale-10566373-1-2-3-density-meerschaum-block-high-placticity-for-cigaretes-filtertip.html
The thermal conductivity of meerschaum is given as a range, between 0.038 to 0.046. QED: meerschaum is an excellent thermal insulator.

Reactions: aspiring_sage

Sharp_tungsten

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 25, 2021
Evans City Pennsylvania
First, let me apologize for being an engineer. Here is the definition of thermal conductivity: What is Thermal Conductivity - Definition - https://www.thermal-engineering.org/what-is-thermal-conductivity-definition/ There is also a table listing the thermal conductivity values of various materials. (the lower the number, the better it insulates; the higher the number, the better it conducts heat) Note that air and cotton have extremely low thermal conductivity values. Now, from a product listing for "sepiolite meerschaum block": 1 - 2.3 Density Meerschaum Block High Placticity For Cigaretes Filtertip - http://www.sepiolitepowder.com/sale-10566373-1-2-3-density-meerschaum-block-high-placticity-for-cigaretes-filtertip.html
The thermal conductivity of meerschaum is given as a range, between 0.038 to 0.046. QED: meerschaum is an excellent thermal insulator.
That's nice data but I'm curious which brands you use?

meercatpat

Lurker
Mar 28, 2014
Massachusetts
thumbnail.jpegThat's nice data but I'm curious which brands you use?
Sorry, I don't post here very often and was trying to reply to Chasing Embers. I have about 40 meershaums; about 30 of them are in a collection of signed, unsmoked vintage pipes, most of which were carved by Eyup Sabri and Ismail "The Artist" Ozel. There are also a few strays in there by Sevket, Baglan, and Beckler, and a well-colored Andrea Bauer lattice from the collection of Fred Bass. As for smokers: My faves include a couple of mid-70s Koncak lattices and an IMP rusticated 1/4 bent apple. thumbnail-1.jpeg

meercatpat

Lurker
Mar 28, 2014
Massachusetts
Sorry, I don't post here very often and was trying to reply to Chasing Embers. I have about 40 meershaums; about 30 of them are in a collection of signed, unsmoked vintage pipes, most of which were carved by Eyup Sabri and Ismail "The Artist" Ozel. There are also a few strays in there by Sevket, Baglan, and Beckler, and a well-colored Andrea Bauer lattice from the collection of Fred Bass. As for smokers: My faves include a couple of mid-70s Koncak lattices and an IMP rusticated 1/4 bent apple. Another great, underrated modern carver is Sinan Atilla. He apprenticed under Eyup Sabri and does some amazing work with high-quality block, black water buffalo horn stems, and a waxing process that yield rapid and even coloring.

Sharp_tungsten

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 25, 2021
Evans City Pennsylvania
Sorry, I don't post here very often and was trying to reply to Chasing Embers. I have about 40 meershaums; about 30 of them are in a collection of signed, unsmoked vintage pipes, most of which were carved by Eyup Sabri and Ismail "The Artist" Ozel. There are also a few strays in there by Sevket, Baglan, and Beckler, and a well-colored Andrea Bauer lattice from the collection of Fred Bass. As for smokers: My faves include a couple of mid-70s Koncak lattices and an IMP rusticated 1/4 bent apple. View attachment 136388
That's awesome. You have some great old ones but if you were buying new what would you recommend? I firmly believe IMP to be the back leader but I've gotten good pipes from CPW, MKM, and Star as well.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
The world of meerschaum is cluttered with falsehoods and myths.
Sounds like Dr. Anthony Cavo is one more source of it. I can't find any evidence of him ever smoking a pipe so it sounds like he's repeating what he's read or been told. As evidenced by meerschaum smokers above, it does get hot, and much easier than briar.

Sorry, I don't post here very often and was trying to reply to Chasing Embers. I have about 40 meershaums; about 30 of them are in a collection of signed, unsmoked vintage pipes, most of which were carved by Eyup Sabri and Ismail "The Artist" Ozel. There are also a few strays in there by Sevket, Baglan, and Beckler, and a well-colored Andrea Bauer lattice from the collection of Fred Bass. As for smokers: My faves include a couple of mid-70s Koncak lattices and an IMP rusticated 1/4 bent apple. View attachment 136388
None of those appear heavily smoked. Is all of the heat conduction information only literary or from experience?

Sharp_tungsten

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 25, 2021
Evans City Pennsylvania
Sounds like Dr. Anthony Cavo is one more source of it. I can't find any evidence of him ever smoking a pipe so it sounds like he's repeating what he's read or been told. As evidenced by meerschaum smokers above, it does get hot, and much easier than briar.

None of those appear heavily smoked. Is all of the heat conduction information only literary or from experience?
I would ask anyone to load up their favorite meerschaum to the brim with penny farthing shag cut and tell me it insulates the heat perfectly...

Sharp_tungsten

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 25, 2021
Evans City Pennsylvania
Based only on my own experience, I must agree that meers can heat up just as easily as briar...but I would not say easier...I have not noticed any real difference.
Totally agree with you. One other thing about meers is they dry the smoke incredibly dry compared to other pipe material. My big reverse calabashes can handle the wettest aromatics and never gurgle. The bottom of the bowl is always dry to the touch usually.