Problems with Cigarette/Cigar Smoke but Not Pipes?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ml23

Lurker
May 14, 2012
Hello,
While perusing the forums here, some of the topics brought to mind an old question/conundrum that has always puzzled me. No offense to those who enjoy cigarettes and cigars, but I have never been able to tolerate the smell of them. My eyes pinch and water, my nose starts to run, and the back of throat gets irritated whenever I am in the vicinity of someone smoking these forms of tobacco.
The weird part (and one of the main reasons I have chosen the pipe) is that I have never had this reaction to pipe smoke - not even close to it. I used to spend hours with my grandfather on our driveway and porch, listening to his tales (most of them probably embellished - but all the more dear because of it) while he would gently puff away. I probably smoked several dozen bowls second hand as a youth but never had a problem - I loved the smell and aroma.
So, my question is, why do cigs and cigars affect me the way they do but pipes do not and does anyone else have a similar reaction? I know that this question may seem strange but it always puzzled me, even as a kid, and now it is bouncing around my brain again. I often wondered if it was the additives in the other two forms to which I have a reaction and not the tobacco itself.
Any thoughts or comments are welcome.
Thanks for taking the time and all the best,
Michael

kyletheaviator

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 16, 2012
Well I've never had as bad of a problem as you described, but when I smoke cigars (rarely) my throat does get irritated. I always thought it was something to do with the draw. A cigar burns a lot more tobacco as you draw vs. a pipe. Good question though, curious to see what the more knowledgeable member have to say!

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
Different baccy? Cigs aren't good baccy anyway full of filler & chemical s, and cigars are a different tobacco ...if I'm wrong someone correct me please.

profpar

Can't Leave
Dec 8, 2011
Buford, Georgia
A few months ago I spent time with a friend who smoked a lot of ciggerettes. My eyes ended burning so much I could hardly see. Never had that problem with pipes or cigars. So I guess that is not an uncommon problem. Undoubtedly the result of the other poisonous additives in cigarette smoke.

romanza10

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 10, 2012
South Carolina
Working on being a full time ex-nail smoker here! Nails (slang for cigarettes) as pointed out by crpntr1 are made with low quality tobacco and fillers. But also, paper. I've just now gotten my wife to switch to RYO, it's better tobacco, but you also notice the paper more. In commercial nails, you've got bad bac, and pretty awful paper being smoked as well. It can be irritating to some people.
Cigars, they can be a lot harsher too, just because it's more tobacco like kyletheaviator mentioned. And I'm sure no doubt that the quality of the cigar and how it's smoked also plays a role.
Just my thoughts on the matter.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
LOL, everyone is so different. I can be around cig smoke and it don't bother me one whit, but, I cannot be in the same room as someone smoking a pipe. Funny part is, that is all I smoke for the past year is just the pipe.

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I think it is the burning paper too. That is the biggest difference between cigs and pipes & cigars.

johninkc

Might Stick Around
Feb 7, 2012
There is also the small matter of the chemicals used on cigarette tobacco in its manufacture.
Ira Lapides of Gatlinburlier tobacconists has commented about this matter:
http://gatlinburlier.com/index.cgi?token=112416175756&page=coverup.htm
Kevin: I post the link simply to point out an information resource. I am not a customer of theirs.

rlunderhill

Can't Leave
Jan 10, 2012
I hate Cigarette smoke period. I enjoy fine hand rolled cigars from time to time and love my pipes. But, even pipe tobaccos have their stinky blends. I can tell if I light my pipe in the house then leave and them come back later and the house stinks, I never order that blend again. It's a cheap tobacco blend, regardless of who made it.

scotrob

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 24, 2011
well i grew up around a family whose members mostly smoked cigs (my Dad was a pipe smoker however) and to this day I find something oddly comforting if I catch a whiff of cig smoke after someone has lit up....however, I do find that cig smoke can catch my throat if someone is smoking near me and I get the blowback...almost to the point where i start to feel my throat close up
cigar and pipe smoke never does this to me; I am guessing all those extra additives in cigs are responsible, the ones that are added to keep the tobacco burning even when the smoker is not drawing on it

carlosviet

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 23, 2012
The main irritant to eyes, nose and throat from smoke is formaldehyde, of which there is a bigger amount in cigarette's smoke than in cigar and pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.