PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

1689Piper

Lurker
Feb 4, 2020
Hendersonville NC
This may have already been answered somewhere else but I was curious about selling tobacco on a very small scale. Is it illegal to blend your own tobacco and sell it to friends and family as a side hobby? I assume it is but not sure. I certainly don't want to violate the laws by doing this. Any info would help, thanks!

smokeyweb

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 29, 2013
I would assume any private tobacco sale without a tobacco license would technically be illegal, excluding Indian Reservations. Perhaps you should “gift” the tobacco in exchange for a “donation!”

Reactions: 1689Piper

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
Make it a cash business and don't advertise on the internet. They will find you otherwise.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
This may have already been answered somewhere else but I was curious about selling tobacco on a very small scale. Is it illegal to blend your own tobacco and sell it to friends and family as a side hobby? I assume it is but not sure. I certainly don't want to violate the laws by doing this. Any info would help, thanks!
yes. you have to pay state taxes so you need to register with ATF I believe.

you have to pay state taxes so you need to register with ATF I believe.
And, you have to register as a manufacturer of tobaccos, and register with FDA, etc... as I said every level of it has it's own registrations and fees.

I pray you are able to escape from behind the iron curtain someday.
A dozen or so years years ago, I took in a commission to engrave someone's rifle and inlay some stonework into the stock. Just so happens that it was on my bench when the county business property tax division came in to check my inventory. I learned quickly, that I wasn't allowed to modify or even keep someone else's firearm in my shop overnight without having filled out a fed and state form. I can't remember what the form was called now. It wasn't difficult and didn't cost me anything, but I just had no idea... But, probably about 30% of everything we do on a day to day basis probably violates some law. And, they don't care whether it is a one-time thing or small potatoes.

Homeland Security laws infringed on the precious metals businesses, with science fiction about gangsters using it to launder money. Heck, you can launder money with potato farming. But, I think they just hate the idea of people using metals as a source of financial exchange... unless you're a bank.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Don't sell anything, not even under the counter. You might not get caught, probably wouldn't, but the legal repercussions of this "lemonade stand" business wouldn't be worth the trouble. Enjoy your tobacco and gift it to select friends. Otherwise you end up as an easy mark to make an example.

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
Yes it is illegal.

And just a reminder to all, this is part of the rules:

"- Pipesmagazine.com does not condone the circumvention of any laws, the avoiding of applicable taxation, or the sharing of methods for getting packages through Customs by deception.
- Any discussion of methods for the circumvention of taxes, Customs, or the violation of laws will be immediately deleted, and the Member will receive a warning. A second instance could result in that Member being banned from Pipesmagazine.com"

Thanks,
Bob

Reactions: 1689Piper

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Cosmic, thank you for that correction. I guess I'm not paying attention here. Even giving it away is illegal. Holy moly. Now I know. Hold your mouth right. Get a haircut. Don't sass your mother. Yes sir, yes sir, whatever you say. Whew.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
The fact there is a federal agency called alcohol, tobacco and firearms tells you everything you need to know about just how seriously the government takes unlicensed sales of those items.

Unless you love the idea of felony conviction, imprisonment and large monetary fines the answer is oh hell no, don’t even consider it.

The idea that you might not get caught is a risk analysis you must make for yourself, but I would point out you just posted a comment on the internet and the thought police now have your number.

?

Black helicopters are en route to your location now.

But seriously, ATF. Not to be trifled with.

Status
Not open for further replies.