PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

B.Fee

Lifer
Nov 28, 2019
Honolulu / Colorado
I have been wanting to try these two blends for along while but never got around to purchasing any to try.
Then came the dreaded no longer being produced scare and I thought oh well missed out on these old stand by's.
Now they are back and I bought a tub of each. Through the year's reading comments on this forum it's seem mostly a love or hate tobacco. For myself I enjoy them both quite a bit.
Simple , uncomplicated straightforward tobacco. I enjoyed a bowl out doing yard work , taking my dog for a walk and sitting in my chair watching the news with a cup of black coffee. I will be continuing to enjoy these two blends for year's to come.
And now GET OFF MY LAWN.
Aloha, ?

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Haven't ordered them yet. Still have US made CH left, and never tried PA before. Will probably try the pouch if they are available in pouch.

Reactions: B.Fee

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
PA is a little too cocoa flavored for me, since the tobacco is so mild. Carter Hall is good, but I like the match Chatham Manor a little better. Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic is quite sophisticated for a codger blend -- burley base, Virginia as a condiment, flavored with three liqueurs. Lately, I've come to like SWR regular, which is quite mild but pleasing in its low-key way. Granger is a classic, flavored with molasses.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
John Patton used to refer to these blends as "American classics", which has become my preferred term as well; it makes it clear what blends are being discussed. "Codger blend" is not at all precise, and is a bit pejorative as well. puffy
When I visited many of these blends in the early part of this century, my favorite was Kentucky Club Mild, long gone, alas. I have just recently found Milan's match of this; I never smoked enough of the original to compare, but the match is moving into my rotation, along with Lane Ready Rubbed.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
I don't like either but that's because of what they consist of. Nothing wrong with them except I don't like them. I would suggest you buy all you can afford to ward off the inevitable day when they are no longer produced.

Reactions: fireground_piper

--dante--

Lifer
Jun 11, 2020
Pittsburgh, PA USA
I have been wanting to try these two blends for along while but never got around to purchasing any to try.
Then came the dreaded no longer being produced scare and I thought oh well missed out on these old stand by's.
Now they are back and I bought a tub of each. Through the year's reading comments on this forum it's seem mostly a love or hate tobacco. For myself I enjoy them both quite a bit.
Simple , uncomplicated straightforward tobacco. I enjoyed a bowl out doing yard work , taking my dog for a walk and sitting in my chair watching the news with a cup of black coffee. I will be continuing to enjoy these two blends for year's to come.
And now GET OFF MY LAWN.
Aloha, ?
I enjoy their easy-to-smoke simplicity, and quite honestly the tastes -- though they run a little milder than I like. I've settled on Granger, Prince Albert and Carter Hall. I always have all three on hand, and sometimes, mix them with some blending tobaccos.

M

MARC52

I enjoy their easy-to-smoke simplicity, and quite honestly the tastes -- though they run a little milder than I like. I've settled on Granger, Prince Albert and Carter Hall. I always have all three on hand, and sometimes, mix them with some blending tobaccos.
Same three blends I keep on hand ?

Reactions: --dante--

RookieGuy

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 2, 2021
Maryland
Carter Hall is one of my top favorites. I had an order of 3 tins in my cart because running out is stupid. But by the time I was ready to order, production ceased and they were gone.

Such easy smoking pipe tobacco! Act like you know how to some a pipe and it'll smolder along without a care. Mess up packing or cadence and no real suffering, just not as pleasant. But do it "right" and you'll be rewarded with a much finer experience than the foil pouch behind the counter would lead you to believe.

I really tried to be upset that this great American burley blend was no longer made in the USA. I really did! But then I went to Walmart for some things we needed and decided hypocrisy isn't a good look for me. So another 3 tubs in another cart, because running out is stupid.

M

MARC52

Carter Hall is one of my top favorites. I had an order of 3 tins in my cart because running out is stupid. But by the time I was ready to order, production ceased and they were gone.

Such easy smoking pipe tobacco! Act like you know how to some a pipe and it'll smolder along without a care. Mess up packing or cadence and no real suffering, just not as pleasant. But do it "right" and you'll be rewarded with a much finer experience than the foil pouch behind the counter would lead you to believe.

I really tried to be upset that this great American burley blend was no longer made in the USA. I really did! But then I went to Walmart for some things we needed and decided hypocrisy isn't a good look for me. So another 3 tubs in another cart, because running out is stupid.
I keep a good stock of Carter Hall on hand too!

Reactions: RookieGuy
M

MARC52

It's still sold, just not in the pouches anymore.
Unless it's old stock, my local smoke shop still has pouches of Cherry Blend, Carter Hall and Prince Albert. Cherry Blend pouches went out of production how many years ago?

Status
Not open for further replies.