PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

peregrinus

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
Pacific Northwest
rack them in an airtight cabinet rack that has argon gas that fills the chamber when closed. The argon is a gas that shields oxidation from occurring. Fairly simple.
Before folks start using this as a thing someone might actually do, I was just kidding. Although, the thought has crossed my mind.
Ha! Laser welders.
We used argon gas as an inert gas at work when laser welding certain metals to prevent oxidation. Probably would work very well, but be a pain to refill a pipe cabinet if opened very often. ?
Still, for the super wealthy pipe smoker... ?

We used argon gas as an inert gas at work when laser welding certain metals to prevent oxidation. Probably would work very well, but be a pain to refill a pipe cabinet if opened very often. ?
Still, for the super wealthy pipe smoker... ?
Yes, I use argon for gold and silversmithing also.
I've always thought it would be cool to have a stainless steel and borosilicate glass, pipe cabinet made that is airtight to hold in argon, and to open it to get a pipe, I'd push a button and it would swish like a Star Trek door. And, then when pushed closed, it would just automatically trigger and vacuum pressure pump and then argon would fill the cabinet. Maybe use black lights to light to pipes, so you can stand and pick out a pipe before opening the door.

Dreams...

lbepens1

Lurker
Jun 25, 2018
There is no way to reverse oxidation. Oxidation can not be stopped either. It is a continuous process. You can slow it down though by protecting the stem with anti-oxidants. These will not only keep the stem from oxidizing as quickly but will also lengthen the life of the rubber.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
After every use of a vulcanite stem I coat it with Obidisian stem oil and my stems stay nice. I am only talking about the high quality German stuff on my artisan pipes.

I have a couple of older pipes with the old sulfur laden vulcanite and they oxidize when I even just look at them. Those suck.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
or you can learn to love the oxidization. I know I sure do. It to my mind has always been one of those things that just goes with pipe smoking. Also the more oxidized it is the less likely someone else will put your pipe in their mouths.

Reactions: Mr.Mike

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
Keep them out of the light. I have a long stem Mummert on a stand when part of the stem was in the dark. That part did not oxidize while displayed in my china hutch, but the part exposed to the light did. Now I keep the whole thing in the dark.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Obsidian, or mineral oil after each smoke. I've taken to using ChapStick for the past several years with good results.

I ponied up for the obsidian oil which I'm beginning to suspect is just a fancy bottle of food grade mineral oil.

Once I run out I'm going to switch to the bottle of butcher black/cast iron oil I have which is just a bottle of food grade mineral oil.

Mineral Oil = $7.49 per 12 oz
Obsidian Oil = $8.00 per 15 ml

Live and learn I guess.

Reactions: BROBS

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
I ponied up for the obsidian oil which I'm beginning to suspect is just a fancy bottle of food grade mineral oil.

Once I run out I'm going to switch to the bottle of butcher black/cast iron oil I have which is just a bottle of food grade mineral oil.

Mineral Oil = $7.49 per 12 oz
Obsidian Oil = $8.00 per 15 ml

Live and learn I guess.

Except that its not mineral oil. There is no mineral oil in it.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Except that its not mineral oil. There is no mineral oil in it.
I'm not saying it is mineral oil and I'm not saying it isn't mineral oil. Mineral oil is more of a category than any single specific oil.

I've never found any information on what obsidian oil actually is. It could be "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter" for all I know.

• Haha
Reactions: BROBS

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Yes, inquiring minds want to know what Obsidian Oil is comprised of. Particularly at over 20 times the cost of mineral oil, which works just fine. Recommended for butcher block. (And, if you are blocked up.....you have another use for it.)

• Haha
Reactions: BROBS and shanez

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I should also say that I use so little mineral oil on my pipes that a year of Obsidian Oil would cost me less than eight bucks. But then there's the butcher block table, wooden kitchen utensils, and the colon lube. :)

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
My bottle of obsidian oil has a rather generic looking label, which is apparently how most of them look, with no information as to actual contents, country of origin/manufacture, and brand. Unless "Obsidian" is the brand.

I've searched the crap out of it and can't find the information or a company to ask the question of.

Status
Not open for further replies.