PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Hey, this is just a vocabulary word post. I remembered the word, but had to hunt it down in the dictionary for spelling. Prestidigitation just means slight of hand. Magicians like to use it to make their skills sound more elevated. I suppose it can apply to the magic of pipes as well. First I had to get the correct spelling, and then I had to practice getting the syllables to roll out when spoken. It's a magic trick in itself.

Wuce Brayne

Might Stick Around
Apr 19, 2021
In my time working at magic shops I've only ever seen one pipe trick. That was basically the multiplying billiard balls trick but it utilized pipe shaped shells instead of billiard balls. Now if you want to see some amazing cigarette prestidigitation, google Tom Mullica. The man was a true master of his art.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It has always impressed me how many successful TV comedians and hosts started doing magic in childhood. This would include (if memory serves me) Johnny Carson, Dick Caveat, and Steve Colbert. I think there were others. I think the timing and deftness served them in developing a stage presence.

It has always impressed me how many successful TV comedians and hosts started doing magic in childhood. This would include (if memory serves me) Johnny Carson, Dick Caveat, and Steve Colbert. I think there were others. I think the timing and deftness served them in developing a stage presence.
Steve Martin started off doing and selling magic tricks at Disney World.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
It also kind of reminds me of how many comedians want to be musicians but can't quite get over the gifted amateur level and how many musicians wish they where comedians but also can't get past the gifted amateur level.

Status
Not open for further replies.