PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Queen Anne’s Revenge is suppose to be the bulk version.

P.S. If you like Rum blends, be sure to get Wilke 515. ;)

Mr. Brandt, by request has been adding more rum, but you can also ask for the original version of 515 with less rum too.

Still trying to figure out what his post has to do with this thread. lol

Papamique

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 11, 2020
OGS keeps being referred to as a Virginia when in fact, it has Perique.
Good point. I’m not saying OGS has a barely noticeable amount of Perique or that they may have slipped some Perique or burley into PO but what I am saying is that, despite being categorized in two separate genres, they taste similar to me at least. Not bad. In fact, pretty damn good but just not so different as to warrant the price IMO. You are correct that OGS is supposed to have Perique though.

Reactions: Elric

justscience

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 5, 2013
Upper Midwestern USA
(Ordained soon to be available on flipper sites, pending delivery to the flippers...)
I got Newminster 400 and 507c last summer, after being advised of their sweetness. I like sweet. Both tasted more like cigarettes than anything. I didn't jump on the Ordained due to relative price and the disappointment with the others.
My only other experience with Virginias was with Rattrays, F&T and McClelland which were old and running out. Is sweetness a quality that increases with age? Or has the average quality of the leaf diminished overall?

Reactions: Papamique
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
(Ordained soon to be available on flipper sites, pending delivery to the flippers...)
I got Newminster 400 and 507c last summer, after being advised of their sweetness. I like sweet. Both tasted more like cigarettes than anything. I didn't jump on the Ordained due to relative price and the disappointment with the others.
My only other experience with Virginias was with Rattrays, F&T and McClelland which were old and running out. Is sweetness a quality that increases with age? Or has the average quality of the leaf diminished overall?
If you dry it enough, pack right and smoke slowly, every Virginia I'm aware of is sweet. Tasting like a cigarette or ashy is the result of smoking too fast and getting the tobacco too hot.

Virginias tend to get sweeter with age.

Zeno Marx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2022
Thanks. I've never had 400 and have been itching to ask about it compared to 507C. When I'm qualified, I planned to get a trade going for some, but I was still on the fence. Not anymore.

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
th
I wondered about this blend...

I like 507-C, but I am trying to love it. I have had over a pound aging for about three years - gone through about 8oz in that time. I am going to smoke a bowl of it now - the stuff smells so good in the jar, reminds me of Orlik Golden Sliced. That said, I'd pick up a tin of Ordained on a whim just to have a nice tin on flakes for the cellar - my recent, miraculous, interest in Latakia (after years of hating the shit) has had me wondering about the good ole Presbyterian, too -- cheers!
That's the beauty of OG Presby if you do not want much Latakia and like VA and love musty Orientals it's great stuff

Singularis

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 11, 2019
Wausau, Wis
Useful info to have. Thanks! Especially considering that I have 4 oz of 507-C aging gracefully in a jar, and have no intention of buying tins of Ordained.