PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Just a quick comparison, i would encourage others to add their thoughts. I just picked up the Ordained and wanted to compare it to 507-C.

Simple comparison, the 507-C seemed a bit more rounded and mellow to me and the sweetness is more of a sugar sweet. The Ordained (fresh out of the tin for full disclosure) was similar except the sweetness was a bit lighter and more of a honey sweetness to it, the Ordained also had more spice, especially on the retrohale or snork as i like to call it.

I'll be letting the Ordained sit for a few days and revisit it, it might mellow a tiny bit more just because the tin is opened and some air getting to it. While i bought a few tins, considering the price difference I'd stick with 507-C if i were being honest.

Has anyone else done this comparison yet?

507 are the longer flakes.

A4FC086C-01DC-4F41-9F11-6A51DC40B00E.jpeg

Last edited:

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Have you tried newminster 400 bro? Would be interested to hear your comparison of that and the Presbyterian blend given the honey notes
I have about 5lbs of it haha, i will have to add that to the vertical this weekend, yes the Presbyterian reminded me more of the 400 with that honey taste. I would almost say the 400 is the bastard child of the Presby and the 507-C lol

kg.legat0

Lifer
Sep 6, 2019
Southwestern PA
I wondered about this blend...

I like 507-C, but I am trying to love it. I have had over a pound aging for about three years - gone through about 8oz in that time. I am going to smoke a bowl of it now - the stuff smells so good in the jar, reminds me of Orlik Golden Sliced. That said, I'd pick up a tin of Ordained on a whim just to have a nice tin on flakes for the cellar - my recent, miraculous, interest in Latakia (after years of hating the shit) has had me wondering about the good ole Presbyterian, too -- cheers!

Papamique

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 11, 2020
I was just smoking Presbyterian ordained tonight and it reminded me of orlik Golden Sliced. I only bought one tin and I won’t be buying more. Maybe as it breathes it will become great but right now it’s good, not great.

Reactions: AJL67 and Fralphog

AlanH

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 29, 2021
North Alabama
I thought about getting some. ( love the name and the tin). Regular Presbyterian is about the only English type blend I like. However, as has been said I have a lot of Virginia flakes. I have a lot of 400 and some 501c ( I prefer the 400) . Based on these reviews I am glad i waited . Maybe I will try it later. Thanks for the review!👍

Reactions: AJL67 and Fralphog

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
So just had a bowl of NM 400, same pipe as the Ordained and 507-C. Since there really are so many similarities in these 3 tobaccos I figured i would just pull the couple of highlights / similarities that really stand out, easiest way to compare them and others can add their opinions.

507-C: Mellow, well rounded, a sugar sweetness and very little spice, much more so on the retrohale.

Ordained: Sweet but a honey sweetness, much like the 400, a bit more spice than both of the other players, to me, specially on the retrohale, a bit of a pinch on the old sinuses there, a lot of pinch, much more spice in that aspect than the other two. The citrus here is stronger more like OGS, orangish. The bread note comes off more as a subtle fruitcake if that makes sense.

Newminster 400: Honey sweetness like the Ordained but i touch stronger, also more of a bread note than the other two, a very faint lemon or citrus zest and a spice inline with Ordained and much stronger than the 507-C

Personally the 507-C comes out on top, I've jarred a tin of the Ordained and I'll wait a few days and revisit, out of the three the Ordained has the most "harsh" spots and we'll see if it smooths out, I'm sure it will but probably not in a few days.

Just my options and I reserve the right to change them several times a day. As always YMMV.

IMG_9162.jpg

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Nice thread that saved me some money. However, I am curious to see what this blend does with a couple years. Though it sounds too similar to others that beat the price point
It has some good strength to it, but to me that strength comes off as a bit of harshness, I do think some decent time will round the smoke out and hopefully keep the strength.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I was looking at that Ordained the other day, ouch, $16 a tin. :(

I assumed Newminster and Stokkebye is just as good of quality in bulk for a lot less.

Instead I bought these, which I’ve never smoked.

Newminster #400 Superior Navy Flake, Stokkebye PS400 Luxury Navy Flake, Stokkebye PS402 Luxury Twist Flake, Stokkebye PS403 Luxury Bulls Eye Flake.

I’ll get some 507c next time to compare. :)

Last edited:

Hunter1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 23, 2022
MD
Went to my local B & M tobacco store. I bought a pipepouch and a tin of Sutliff Barbados Plantation. I smoked it in a new MM cob. The smell was great opening the tin, I let ti dry for 15 min. Had to light it 3 times till I had it packed right. This was one heck of a great smoke. The smell was very good, the tast was really good. It stayed lit forthe rest of the full bowl. I have been likeing English blends but this tabacco was great. It also had no bite at all for an aromatic. To bad sutliff won't sell it in bulk. I could smoke thisa few times a day. I'm no tobacco expert but it was great.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
mWent to my local B & M tobacco store. I bought a pipepouch and a tin of Sutliff Barbados Plantation. I smoked it in a new MM cob. The smell was great opening the tin, I let ti dry for 15 min. Had to light it 3 times till I had it packed right. This was one heck of a great smoke. The smell was very good, the tast was really good. It stayed lit forthe rest of the full bowl. I have been likeing English blends but this tabacco was great. It also had no bite at all for an aromatic. To bad sutliff won't sell it in bulk. I could smoke thisa few times a day. I'm no tobacco expert but it was great.

Queen Anne’s Revenge is suppose to be the bulk version.

P.S. If you like Rum blends, be sure to get Wilke 515. ;)

Mr. Brandt, by request has been adding more rum, but you can also ask for the original version of 515 with less rum too.