PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Has anyone tried Presbyterian match from P&C? I'm still relatively new to the pipe world and finally picked up some Presbyterian after reading all the glowing reviews and was blown away by this blend! Granted my experience with English tobacco came from the sub-par blends offerd from my local B&M cigar shop, but wow what a difference! This could easily be an all day smoke for me but the price tage for this pipe smoker on a budget is a little to high for an all dayer, and would rather save the real stuff for a long quit weekend night. The match, budget wise is perfect but would hate to waist money on another sub-par blend!
wait are you named after one of the best nes games few people played?

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I tried Presbyterian for the first time this weekend. I also tried a couple of C&D English American blends,First amendment and another one I can't remember. This was my first time trying English blends. I thought the Presbyterian was well made. It was well packaged and it burned really nice right out of the tin. I enjoyed how cool it burned no tongue bite at all. I can't put my finger on the taste. I didn't hate it but I didn't love it. There was almost a rubber taste to me and all of the three blends shared this. I'm guessing this is the orientals? I have real mixed feelings about it I don't think I'm drawn to this genre of tobacco. I have a tin that was given to me. I think I'll revisit it later. Also after trying the Presbyterian everything afterwards that I tried tasted like Presbyterian.
it's a lot better after breathing for about a week. It really opens up a lot. Tasted kind of flat and bland when I opened my first tin. But after ignoring it for a week and then coming back I found there are similar blends I like better but I got why it was considered a classic. It's darn good stuff.

FALaholic

Might Stick Around
Jan 15, 2022
North Carolina, USA
Has anyone tried Presbyterian match from P&C? I'm still relatively new to the pipe world and finally picked up some Presbyterian after reading all the glowing reviews and was blown away by this blend! Granted my experience with English tobacco came from the sub-par blends offerd from my local B&M cigar shop, but wow what a difference! This could easily be an all day smoke for me but the price tage for this pipe smoker on a budget is a little to high for an all dayer, and would rather save the real stuff for a long quit weekend night. The match, budget wise is perfect but would hate to waist money on another sub-par blend!
Haven't tried Presbyterian Match, but I'm interested. I've spent way too much on tobacco the past two months, so cant justify it right now. That said Presbyterian is an excellent blend. Not very heavy on the Latakia, but good flavor nonetheless.

Reactions: Model 29

Model 29

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 23, 2021
pennsylvania
Pres is my go to blend,against which all others are judged. I often blend it with a stronger latakia. If I was linited to one tobacco, Pres would be the one

Masterblaster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 23, 2021
Evans, GA
Presbyterian was the first non aromatic I tried and it blew me away, which led to a horrible case of ETAD! puffy After smoking through a tin, l did find one problem with this blend and after reading and watching more then enough reviews, it seems to be a issue with me only. There seems to be a harshness, burn, or tingle (don't really no how to describe it) that seems to dance around the outside of my tongue and throat and is very noticeable in the retrohale. I'm to inexperienced to even try to guess what it's from and I haven't experienced this phenomenon with other blends, but it's always there to some degree with Presbyterian and takes away from my enjoyment! I bought two tins of this and the one I have left came with almost a year of age on it, hoping it will mellow out by then! Really love the flavors and want this blend to be a staple in my rotation. We will see!

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
Presbyterian was the first non aromatic I tried and it blew me away, which led to a horrible case of ETAD! puffy After smoking through a tin, l did find one problem with this blend and after reading and watching more then enough reviews, it seems to be a issue with me only. There seems to be a harshness, burn, or tingle (don't really no how to describe it) that seems to dance around the outside of my tongue and throat and is very noticeable in the retrohale. I'm to inexperienced to even try to guess what it's from and I haven't experienced this phenomenon with other blends, but it's always there to some degree with Presbyterian and takes away from my enjoyment! I bought two tins of this and the one I have left came with almost a year of age on it, hoping it will mellow out by then! Really love the flavors and want this blend to be a staple in my rotation. We will see!
Try a pipe with a different chamber geometry. I have had some similar issues at times and the aforementioned, as well as possibly where the smoke is directed in the mouth (by different stem sizes and angles) seems to be enough to make little alterations to those kinds of issues.

coys

Can't Leave
Feb 15, 2022
Missouri
Like others, I picked up Presby based on reviews as my first tin, and it’s very accessible. Not harsh, doesn’t bite, not especially anything, but satisfying.

Reactions: FLDRD

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
A lightly sweet, spicy, smoky blend. I recently enjoyed it but would probably more so without the Latakia. I know it’s light by most English standards, but a little Latakia goes a long way in a blend so needless to say, Lat Bombs like Pirate Cake have no place for me. Not to say Presbyterian isn’t fantastic. It is! It just sits outside of my tastes.

Aug 6, 2022
Haven't tried Presbyterian Match, but I'm interested. I've spent way too much on tobacco the past two months, so cant justify it right now. That said Presbyterian is an excellent blend. Not very heavy on the Latakia, but good flavor nonetheless.
I have just mixed up a batch of Presbyterian MATCH and cellared it today. Naturally, I had to taste it. I was surprised at how it tasted. It wasn't quite as tasty as the Tinned, but that may come with aging, or trying different Virginias, a touch stronger oriental, and about the same grade Latakia in the same proportion. I'm a winemaker and have had success blending different grapes for, what I consider, a more robust and satisfying
vintage. That's kind of presented a whole new "rabbit hole" for me to fall into concerning pipe tobacco. I'm primarily an English/Scottish smoker so replicating or developing tobacco blends holds a fascination for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: FLDRD

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
Is this anything like Kramer’s? I haven’t tried this one yet. Just had Kramers English from 2018 and it’s a pretty strong smell for me. Still trying to find what I really enjoy. I was thinking of buying this one.
Kramers (Father Dempsey I assume) is a bit more funky perique? Presby has a bit of a sour musty thing going for it from the Orientals, both of them are very distinct from typical English as well as from each other.