PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
So having recently acquired a big ol bag of Sutliff TS-24 and loving it , it seems the Orientals just by themselves taste a lot like Presby obviously minus the Lat, but there is also a certain mustiness missing. What tobacco components generate mustiness?

So having recently acquired a big ol bag of Sutliff TS-24 and loving it , it seems the Orientals just by themselves taste a lot like Presby obviously minus the Lat, but there is also a certain mustiness missing. What tobacco components generate mustiness?
Presbyterians like to keep their tobacco in old dirty gym socks. puffy

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
If you go looking for some blending leaf Izmir is also known as Smyrna.

I occasionally smoke straight Smyrna, or at least what as sold as blending Smyrna here. Wonderfully complex all by itself.

supdog

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2012

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
Thanks for all the info guys , been doing a little blending myself. Also noticing that the TS-24 by itself is nice for the morning after freight training a VA while intoxicated …🤣🤣🤣

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
Years ago, I'd been noticing that some English blends had "that thing" that I really loved, and some didn't. When I compared the purported ingredients of the two categories, I concluded that "that thing" that I loved must be Orientals. The blends without Orientals didn't have "that thing," and the Balkan blends or otherwise Oriental-forward blends DID.

So I thought for years that I was an Orientals/Balkan guy.

Then eventually, around the same time, I picked up both a tin of Presbyterian and a bag of TS-24. And... meh, I'm not enthused about either. I'm not even sure that I taste "that thing."

So now I'm confused. Did I ever love Orientals? Was I mistaken?

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
Years ago, I'd been noticing that some English blends had "that thing" that I really loved, and some didn't. When I compared the purported ingredients of the two categories, I concluded that "that thing" that I loved must be Orientals. The blends without Orientals didn't have "that thing," and the Balkan blends or otherwise Oriental-forward blends DID.

So I thought for years that I was an Orientals/Balkan guy.
I think I'm just entering this phase...

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
^ I'm curious if the specific Orientals, or the particular Virginias paired with them, made the difference in the blends you liked. Not that I have any answers!
I would love to nail this down.

At this point, all I've got for my plan is: keep practicing and pay attention.

If I figure out what "it is" for me (definitively), I'll happily share.

Reactions: ThermionicScott

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
I would love to nail this down.

At this point, all I've got for my plan is: keep practicing and pay attention.

If I figure out what "it is" for me (definitively), I'll happily share.
Wonder if there was any Burley in there. And I’m always wondering what the funk factor is heavy in nightcap and just a tad in father Dempsey, used to be put off but now I like em both