PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

drcarlo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 31, 2013
Hello folks
I got my order from danpipe.de today.

I don't hoard tobacco, just ordering what I plan to smoke the next six months or so.
I got the regular stuff: 10 Marlin Flake, 5 University Flake, 5 yellow Capstan, 3 x 100g EMP, 5 three Nuns.
To try: Erinmore Flake and Presbyterian Mixture.
I popped a tin of PM. It was fantastic right from the tin! It burned from the charring to the very end. Its mellow, but rich Va and just a small amount of latakia to balance the mix and give it some more spice.
The first two bowls was smoked in a Savinelli Oscar, pruchased in 2003 on the occation of my wedding. The tobacco packed without effort in the pot bowl and burned willingly.
The third bowl, I'm lighting right now. I use a Neerup classic poker. What to see how this bowl handles it.

First: packing obstructed the smoke channel. No big deal. Nothing a pipe cleanse won't fix in a sec.

Second: charring light, tamping, lighting - smoked to the end. Just ash and a few very small crumbles in the bottom of the pipe.
This is a superb all day smoke.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
I think I've found my favorite English blend but you guys are making me want to try Presbyterian Mixture.
I love Marlin Flake. It's one of my top 4 tobaccos I keep on hand. Love it. It's like sweet tangy raisins with a little "white pepper sprinkled on plum" note out of the nose.

drcarlo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 31, 2013
@jah76: What is your favourite English?

I smoke Dunhill EMP every morning. Presbyterian Mixture is not challenging that, but the one I will chose if I want latakia on other times a day. Strangely enough, I only like EMP in the morning, not at other times. Here, PM will play a future role.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
McCelland's Jubilee. Sugary Virginias, Latakias, Orientals, and Perique.
Sweet, tangy, tasty. I tend to like my English tobacco's on the mild side and slightly sweet. I can appreciate the tastes of the heavier blends they just end up being too much for an entire pipe.
I'm still hunting around. Tried Leo from Lane recently and I've also got a tin of McCelland's Tudor Castle waiting to be cracked open.

drcarlo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 31, 2013
@rothn: Sounds like you should give Presbyterian Mixture a try.
I enjoy orientals very much and for me, latakia is to mellow and bind the Va and oriental tastes together. I like Rattray's Red Rapparee a lot. But it is very intense. So PM is a sweet and soft oriental-latakia blend that does not hit you like RRR.

Bulldog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 29, 2012
Mid-Atlantic, USA
I have smoked this blend for a little while now and have very much enjoyed it. My only complaint is that Presbyterian is not cheap.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I’ve had one tin of PM and enjoyed it a lot...definitely plan to get more.

drcarlo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 31, 2013
Great blog post Arno!

I obviously have cheap German taste....
I have to find an internet retailer in Belgium. Getting the international version is a priority. Clearly, I need a tin. Or, Arno, Is there any Dutch online strores you can recommend?

Dutch Pipe Smoker

(arno665)
Apr 3, 2013
The Netherlands
dutchpipesmoker.com
Great blog post Arno!

I obviously have cheap German taste....
I have to find an internet retailer in Belgium. Getting the international version is a priority. Clearly, I need a tin. Or, Arno, Is there any Dutch online strores you can recommend?
Thanks! Besides the fact Presbyterian is not sold in the Netherlands I would not recommend a Dutch internet retailer. HIGH prices.. For example, in Holland a tin of Dunhill Nightcap costs €15 ($20). In Germany €12,25 ($16,32)and in the USA the price is $10,59 (€8)...

A good internet retailer in Belgium is Domino Cigars. Presbyterian there is €11 ($14,65).

drcarlo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 31, 2013
Thanks Arno.

I live in Denmark and import my tobacco from other EU contries to save a few "kroner".

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
Presbyterian is a major tenant in my Cellar. Funny that it took me a year to fall in love with it. It may have been a side effect of my Virginias Project, which made me appreciate light Latakias.
Hp

Les

drcarlo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 31, 2013
As I just stocked up, it will take quite some time, but eventually I will order the international version of PM.
We talk about different blends, probably. The majority is talking about the international version, while I talk about the German version. Arno clarified this for us.
I may get a sample somwhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.