PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 10, 2011
Are there any of you out there who own and enjoy smoking a Preben Holm pipe? My mother purchased me one for Christmas back in 1986. It is a great looking pipe and smokes well. The only problem I have with it is the oxidation on the mouth piece ( stem ). How can I get it to look clean and shine its original black without rubbing off the white PH logo??? Thanks for any help. LD Jonathan

mlaug

Part of the Furniture Now
May 23, 2010
Iowa
I have several Holm made pipes. They dandy! :puffpipe:
If you use a strong bleaching agent like Magic Eraser, put a dab of Vaseline over the logo to protect it. Be careful rubbing around the logo, I'd rather have a bit of green tint with my logo than a completely removed stamp.
I've been using a variety of stem waxes over the years to keep them black and shiny.
Currently, I'm using Haunted's Obsidian Pipe Stem Oil. I like it a lot.

jcsnaps

Lifer
Oct 18, 2010
I'll go with mlaug on the Obsidian Pipe Stem Oil. I also have several pipes by Holm and had been using Brebbia stem polish. I think the Obsidian works a bit better. You prefer coffee with that Danish? :D

Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
I just ordered some of the Obsidian stem oil, but in the past, I'd always done a clorox treatment with some vaseline on the logo. It's definitely a lot of work to do it this way, but I've had some great results. I've also used Brebbia stem polish as well and I still use it after sanding from the clorox treatment.

clanobucklin

Jan 19, 2010
Try Brebbia pipe stem cleaner - has grit in so it removes oxidation. Wipe pipe down - shine with a Miracle Cloth - then apply a thin coat of Mineral Oil - that should do it.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
There's no doubt that Preben Holm pipes are historically important as the origin of the Danish freehand school,

and as the first real alternative to the staid world of the classic English shapes. So they are collectible as

well as interesting. I've had several through the years, but I always found them to be overly heavy, poorly

balanced, and, really, not the best smokers in the rack. Does anybody else feel this way about them?

mlaug

May 23, 2010
Iowa
I'm a big fan of the Danish style pipes. What I like about them are the attention paid to the flow of the grain and the wild, exotic, organic shapes achived by the carvers. I also like the fact that no two pipes are ever alike, which lends a uniqueness to my pipe purchase. I haven't found Holm's pipes to be particularly superior to any other Dane carver. But, he was an early adopter and gets some credit as a founder of the freehand movement, which I suppose lends some points.
I'm not a clencher, so weight and balance aren't factors in a pipe buying decision. Since many freehand pipes are large ( and I have big hands ), how a pipe feels in my hand is of greater concern to me. I also have many sitters, so if I'm doing something that requires two hands, down it goes. A sitter is the best invention ever made for allowing one to have a big ol' freehand.
As for pipe engineering: I own some Holm pipes that are pretty and smoke well and some that are pretty and....really pretty. :wink:
The freehands that I have, either Ben Wades, Holm's, Bari's, Soren's, Erik's or Nording's are mostly big bowled pipes. It may be because I'm drawn to big bowled pipes or maybe Danes made pipes that tend to run toward the hefty side of the scales. I haven't done any scientific census taking on pipe bowl sizes so I can't say with certainty. I think big bowled pipes are harder to smoke. Its harder to keep them lit, harder to get an even burn though the tobacco, and harder to smoke to the bottom. I have some smaller Holm pipes and they smoke like any other pipe.
I guess I'm drawn to them for reasons other than smoking qualities as a primary concern.

May 10, 2011
I have noticed that they keep and even increase in there value over time. This is true about many other brands and many different carvers of pipes,I just feel lucky to own and smoke one. They truly are the beginning of the Danish School of Freehand Pipe making. LD Jonathan :puffpipe: :puffpipe:

Status
Not open for further replies.