PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

yanoJL

Lifer
Oct 21, 2022
Pismo Beach, California
Living in Massachusetts, and having attended college in Boston, I’m very familiar with Peretti’s blends. I used to smoke “Lexington” in college, which had a grape flavor — a play on Lexington and Concord. I do smoke Thanksgiving Day in November, but Tashkent is my favorite.View attachment 268157
Great post and picture @jerry

This past year, I have been mail-ordering blends from various B&Ms around the U.S., Watch City, The Country Squire, J.M. Boswell's, etc.
Peretti is next on my list. And rest assured, Tashkent will be a part of that order!
Thank you!

Piping Abe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 27, 2021
Georgia, USA
@Peter Turbo, thanks for sharing! Mr. Willett mentioned something that caught my attention. He said years ago they had Penzance sitting on the shelves, it didn't sell much until the Internet market came around. JM Boswell shared a similar observation with me. He said they didn't sell much McClelland tobacco, he said it sat on the shelves forever until they went out of business and then everyone wanted it. Not to say those aren't good tobaccos, I've never had any of it, but it's interesting how demand can shift based on different variables.

When I started pipe smoking, almost everything was always available. You couldn’t mention GH/SG without someone saying it’s their grannys pantys/perfume.

Then the social media market, youtube and even forums shifted everything. And everything was always sold out.

The thing I will never get is why some purchase a great number of tins of a blend they never even tried. Just to cellar it.

jerry

Dec 2, 2009
Western Massachusetts
Great post and picture @jerry

This past year, I have been mail-ordering blends from various B&Ms around the U.S., Watch City, The Country Squire, J.M. Boswell's, etc.
Peretti is next on my list. And rest assured, Tashkent will be a part of that order!
Thank you!
My personal favorite is Watch City, particularly Deluxe Crumb Cut and Glass Slipper.

stearmandriver

Might Stick Around
Mar 13, 2018
The description on TR claims mint flavoring.
I took this as conjecture of a light mint casing (not really a topping.) on many of their blends. I will say that since I've read that on TR, I've sometimes thought I could notice that I was left with a bit of a clean, fresh mouthfeel (well, cleaner than usual after smoking a Latakia blend for instance). Could very well be placebo on my end, but I'll say that if a mint casing is actually used, it's purely a very light casing used for mouthfeel. None of Peretti's blends that I've ever tried actually have any taste of mint. You don't have to worry about that flavor in your tobacco at all.

yanoJL

Lifer
Oct 21, 2022
Pismo Beach, California
I took this as conjecture of a light mint casing (not really a topping.) on many of their blends. I will say that since I've read that on TR, I've sometimes thought I could notice that I was left with a bit of a clean, fresh mouthfeel (well, cleaner than usual after smoking a Latakia blend for instance). Could very well be placebo on my end, but I'll say that if a mint casing is actually used, it's purely a very light casing used for mouthfeel. None of Peretti's blends that I've ever tried actually have any taste of mint. You don't have to worry about that flavor in your tobacco at all.
Thank you. I wondered if mint was added to that particular blend, Cuban Mixture, perhaps as homage to a Mojito or something like that.

stearmandriver

Might Stick Around
Mar 13, 2018
Thank you. I wondered if mint was added to that particular blend, Cuban Mixture, perhaps as homage to a Mojito or something like that.
Definitely not that I can taste. Cuban is not what I'd call an aromatic... Tastes like a good cigar with Latakia!

Reactions: yanoJL

DesertDan

Oct 27, 2022
Tucson, AZ
Tashkent is fantastic and I liked Thanksgiving Day '23 but feel it will be better with a bit of age on it.
I have several of the LJP samplers jarred and will be working my way through them in the coming year.
But I will definitely be laying in a larger supply of Tashkent at least.

Reactions: rsshreck32

lightxmyfire

Can't Leave
Jun 17, 2019
DMV Area
Highly recommend Peretti!

I had been ordering their blends online for a few years after hearing how great they were, and enjoying their tobaccos.

I finally; this past summer, got a chance to visit the shop in person while visiting family. It was a great experience! Todd Brugman was very welcoming and fantastic to talk with, he knew so much about the tobacco's and history of the shop and I bought one of his pipes that's becoming a fast favorite of mine. He even threw in an ounce of a D-7485 he thought I should try and didn't charge me for it!

I've had and love Tashkent, D-9575, No.8 slices, Cambridge Flake, 150th Flake, D-7485. I've got and yet to try the Cuban Mixture.

I will 100% be going back and spending more time there on my next trip to Boston.

IMG_1027.jpg

IMG_1028.jpg

IMG_1022.jpg

yanoJL

Lifer
Oct 21, 2022
Pismo Beach, California
Highly recommend Peretti!

I had been ordering their blends online for a few years after hearing how great they were, and enjoying their tobaccos.

I finally; this past summer, got a chance to visit the shop in person while visiting family. It was a great experience! Todd Brugman was very welcoming and fantastic to talk with, he knew so much about the tobacco's and history of the shop and I bought one of his pipes that's becoming a fast favorite of mine. He even threw in an ounce of a D-7485 he thought I should try and didn't charge me for it!

I've had and love Tashkent, D-9575, No.8 slices, Cambridge Flake, 150th Flake, D-7485. I've got and yet to try the Cuban Mixture.

I will 100% be going back and spending more time there on my next trip to Boston.

View attachment 269387

What a great photo. Even if I didn't know that was Peretti's, I'd know it was Peretti's. Those yellow paint cans on the shelf in the background are a dead giveaway.

PennyStonks

Can't Leave
Nov 22, 2022
Love Tashkent and Cambridge. And Thanksgiving, Boston Best, No. 8 slices, No Name, DD, 333, Smiths Own, Burlington, B94, 333, Omega, Pride of Loch Lomand, D7485, RCTR, 150th Anniversary, D9507, and Black Virginia.
Finally someone mentions no name! If you’re missing that granny panty flavor G&H used to have more of give no name a try. It’s wonderful!

lightxmyfire

Can't Leave
Jun 17, 2019
DMV Area
Finally someone mentions no name! If you’re missing that granny panty flavor G&H used to have more of give no name a try. It’s wonderful!

That did remind me I've also had no name, its truly unique! I can't decide if I like it or not yet, it will ghost a pipe like none other though thats for sure! 😂

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
Recently tried 150th Anniversary, London Flake, and Amperstand Flake for the first time.

150th smelled like prunes in the bag, and I was hopeful for some deep, rich flavors. But in smoking, the flavor was hit and miss -- mostly miss. A lot of warm air with occasional flavors popping up. In any case it was extremely difficult to light and keep lit. It made FVF seem like dry tinder.

London Flake was an extremely good VaPer. Some compare it to McC 2015 ... it's been a long time since I had that, but it's not quite how I remember 2015. To me this was much more like AGED LBF. Not fresh LBF ... like 4 year old LBF. Only you don't have to wait 4 years for it. Highly recommended if you like that kind of VaPer.

Amperstand I need to revisit. My one smoke thus far was positive, but I feel like I didn't get a very distinct impression. It was sweet, but pretty mild in flavor. Normally I walk away with a more concrete tasting note. It may just be a very sweet, mild VA, and that's nice when that's what you want. I'll try again and see if I come up with anything more concrete.

I also got some Cambridge Flake which I've yet to try. Maybe tonight.

rsshreck32

Lifer
Aug 1, 2023
Western PA
Recently tried 150th Anniversary, London Flake, and Amperstand Flake for the first time.

150th smelled like prunes in the bag, and I was hopeful for some deep, rich flavors. But in smoking, the flavor was hit and miss -- mostly miss. A lot of warm air with occasional flavors popping up. In any case it was extremely difficult to light and keep lit. It made FVF seem like dry tinder.

London Flake was an extremely good VaPer. Some compare it to McC 2015 ... it's been a long time since I had that, but it's not quite how I remember 2015. To me this was much more like AGED LBF. Not fresh LBF ... like 4 year old LBF. Only you don't have to wait 4 years for it. Highly recommended if you like that kind of VaPer.

Amperstand I need to revisit. My one smoke thus far was positive, but I feel like I didn't get a very distinct impression. It was sweet, but pretty mild in flavor. Normally I walk away with a more concrete tasting note. It may just be a very sweet, mild VA, and that's nice when that's what you want. I'll try again and see if I come up with anything more concrete.

I also got some Cambridge Flake which I've yet to try. Maybe tonight.
Thanks for the reviews...I'm definitely going to try some London Flake! I was on the fence about that one, but not anymore! I would also say that Ampersand Flake is a nice mild and sweet VA. I really enjoy one on the rare occasion that I smoke a straight Virginia.

Reactions: SBC