PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonesing

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 11, 2010
Howdy all.
I know that other similar forums do a pipe of the year. They solicit an artisan pipe maker to craft a pipe specially for the members.
I've kicked this around with Raftergtex who is an active member here and a hell of a pipe maker. I speak from experience being lucky enough to own one of his pipes. It's the only pipe I have that is truly premium quality.
Rafter thinks he could likely make those interested some version of his nosewarmer sitter for around a hundred bucks give or take and dependent upon the number interested and options like hand turned stems, shank extensions, finishing etc.
It seems the nose warmer sitter would be a great choice for us. Clearly we have the ambassador of nose warmers in our own Phil. and I have noticed a great deal of interest in the new Pease Luciano pipes which are certainly right up the same alley.
Here's a picture of the first one he made as a general reference and a link to Tim's Website
obj162geo128pg3p8.png

We'd be looking at payment and delivery sometime late in the year. So we'll have a little time to save our pennies and maybe drop broad hints to spouses about the "perfect Christmas gift".
At this point I'm hoping to get an initial gauge of interest. You're not committing but please be somewhat realistic. If you say you're interested please be sure you think you have at least a decent chance of actually taking delivery.
And to be crystal clear. I'm getting nothing out of this (except a POY which I will pay full price for). I just thought this might be fun and a way to get what we know will be a very high quality pipe int he hands of our members.
I don't expect Tim will be turning a huge margin on these pipes either so he isn't in this for his retirement account.
So let's hear it.

raftergtex

Lurker
Mar 18, 2010
Thanks for the compliments, Rick. I would be glad to do it if there is any interest. I have joined most of the pipe boards and this is the one I come back to everyday. Very down to earth, and still small enough where you don't get lost in the crowd.

jonesing

Feb 11, 2010
Oh yeah everyone and I misspoke.
The price wouldn't be $100. Tim tells me he could make a pipe as outlined below for $80.
1) Plateaux briar (you could luck into a straight grain!)

2) Hand turned Ebonite Stem

3) Delrin tenon

4) Delrin shank insert

5) Shank extension in choice of the exotics he has on hand. Right now that's zebra wood and Faux Ivory. Will be these or something similar.

6) Choice of 2 stain colors

7) Stamped PMPOY 2010 or similar

8) Smooth finish only.
So there's the clarification.
Helluva a deal if you ask me.
I'm in.
Any one else?

sapo59

Can't Leave
Dec 29, 2009
I'd be interested too. I just need to know when to have the money by.

jonesing

Feb 11, 2010
Alright. Enough for a quorum and to make it worth messing with.
I'd suggest we agree on the following.
1) Cut off for interest. I suggest August 15th. People are committed by Aug 15th and no new ones can get in unless Tim wants to extend it. Objections? Alternatives?
2) We'll go with the nose warmer sitter barring objection.
3) Your word is enough. Tim doesn't want deposits or anything. just payment on delivery (prior to shipping)
4) I'd suggest Tim get to making pipes and when complete we choose the one we want in order of the most forum posts on the date of selections. Don't worry Phil I don't think anyone is going to catch you. And, I think I have a lot of posts so I'm happy to go to the end of the line since I'm setting up the criteria. No rigged games.
5) Suggest all payments be via paypal. Does this work for everyone? Tim what kind of fees do you pay? I know you're building these on a tight budget as it is.
All I can think of for now. Please add to this and improve it. I'm confident I haven't thought of everything.

raftergtex

Lurker
Mar 18, 2010
Thanks, everyone, its an honor. Since we have some time, I would appreciate any thoughts on colors or shank extension materials, and whether you like having choices in that regard or would prefer that they all look alike (to the extent the wood allows). To me it sounds fun to do some variations, posting them all (with maybe a surprise or two), and then you get to pick.
Also, any thoughts on the shape of that nosewarmer sitter above? The one thing that catches my eye now is that I apparently could not decide whether to make a tapered stem or a saddle, and came up with something in between. It kind of works, though.
I am not sure how paypal does the fees to be honest, Rick. I sold one today for 111 and ended up with 107.48. I am not worried about it, though. As a newbie maker I need satisfied customers more than cash.
By the way, Jonesing is hereby appointed the head honcho of this operation as far as keeping a list of recipients, setting deadlines and selection orders, and coordinating anything that needs coordinating.

Status
Not open for further replies.