PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

collin

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 29, 2010
Oklahoma
:D A recipe for beans that doesn't require a crock pot?

Absolutely, no self-respecting red-neck would even own a crock-pot.
1 lb Pinto Beans (sorted and rinsed and soaked overnight in the fridge)
Thick bottomed stock pot. (I use a 6 qt with a glass lid)
Water (enough to cover beans 2 1/2")
Salt and pepper
That's it!
Cover pot, bring to a rolling boil reduce to a simmer, simmer till the beans are tender. (about 3 hours)
Salt-pork or ham-hock are optional.
*edit*

If you forgot to pre-soak, bring dry beans to rolling boil, shut off let sit one hour, bring back to rolling boil, reduce to simmer till beans are tender.

kcvet67

Jul 6, 2010
The temperature in Kansas City has been in single digits since yesterday (I hate you Kevin). I live in Midtown KC and we "only" got 8" of snow. My sister said they got about 12" and my boss said last night that he had over 16".
It's kinda nice having two days off from work, but I bought about $150 worth of tobacco from Carole Burns yesterday and another $200 from SP today, I can't AFFORD any more snow days! :puffy:

collin

Oct 29, 2010
Oklahoma
The worst part of all this snow and ice is; UPS has had my new Peterson, my Escudo and a tin of Standard Mixture held up down in Mesquite for two days now on account of this storm. :(

hfdpipe

Might Stick Around
Oct 28, 2010
CT
nice pergola Tommy. I went out for milk and picked up some ol smokies, I put them in a pot with some sauce, right now I'm watching the Uconn/Cuse basketball game,the driveway is an icerink, but things aint that bad.

collin

Oct 29, 2010
Oklahoma
Why thank-you hfdpipe, we love to sit under it in the summer, it blocks at least 5o% of the sun and has screens we lower to shade us from the setting sun in the evening.
You put any jelly or jam in them lil' smokies?

hfdpipe

Might Stick Around
Oct 28, 2010
CT
yeah Tommy, my first time making them with grape jelly and chili sauce, good stuff. They're all on sale this week I assume for the superbowl, so I couldnt really resist.

I had planned on building a pergola myself this winter, I already poured my footings in october, assuming I would be able to raise it on a nice warm winters day, but now forget it, too cold and way too much snow.

ulsterpaddy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 22, 2010
i cant believe the weather you're having. its sunny and brisk in vancouver and snow and wind all over the states.

jrtaster

Might Stick Around
Sep 28, 2009
tommy, thanks for the recipe.. i'm a bean lover and my wife hates 'em. i love pipe smoke, wife hates it. i HATE nfl football ON TV, wife loves it. luv my cigars, wife despises them. remind me again about opposites attracting! jr/john

cornguy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2011
Well, I had planned to enjoy a frigid winter's day with pipe in hand.

Instead, I ended up with shovel in hand, chipping away at the layers of ice and sleet that covered my driveway, which is about 100 yards long.

I was hard at it for about 6 hours, so my hopes for a 7-bowl day quickly devolved into a 4-bowl day.

Too pooped to puff.

Today, my body feels like it was used for a tackling drill by the Pittsburgh steelers.

But warm coffee an a good smoke sure does ease the pain.

jimbo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2010
Tommy,
I don't know where you are but here in West Texas we had an identical "80 to 8" in 2 days.
And as a matter of fact, I did cook up a pot of red beans (what we call pintos) yesterday (salt pork is NOT optional, and we've always used rain water to soak overnight, drain, and cook in more rain water). A slice of onion and dill pickle on the side and you've got it made! Of course, this also calls for my mom's cornbread recipe to go with it.
Mom's Cornbread:
1 1/2 cups stone-ground cornmeal

3 Tablespoons flour

1 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon baking soda

2 cups buttermilk

1 egg

2 Tablespoons bacon grease or salad oil
(NO sugar, dammit)
Mix dry and wet ingredients separately then combine.
Spray Pam into HOT, seasoned cast iron skillet that has been pre-heated in 400 degree oven. Pour in mixture and cook 20-25 mins. at 400 degrees.
"Pie slice" the cooked cornbread. Split the sections and add butter inside. Save one for dessert with Brer Rabbit syrup. Save some unbuttered for late-night snack in sweet milk. (That's plain milk.)
Nothing finer!

collin

Oct 29, 2010
Oklahoma
Sorry Jimbo, I neglected the skillet cornbread my wife made.

We do ours with cast iron skillet crisco'd and heated in 350 oven, almost same bread recipe but with diced japs onion, cheddar, and creamed corn added for "Mexican Corn Bread!"
*cue the mariachi band*

chero

Can't Leave
Dec 25, 2010
i love fresh corn bread with a side of hot apple sauce with butter mixed in, yumm

collin

Oct 29, 2010
Oklahoma
:D Oh man,....that sounds awesome,....have you tried crumbling it up in a cup with milk and honey? A down home favorite for sure. Or better yet, heavy cream and honey.

chero

Can't Leave
Dec 25, 2010
done the milk and corn bread in a cup alot,very good. my wife talks alot about in her old school days about takeing a king syrup bucked to school with corn bread and milk in it and they would keep it in the spring. she said good old days.

jimbo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2010
Tommy,
Mexican cornbread is an option! So is cracklin' cornbread.
Can't find real cracklin's (neighborhood butcher shops are long gone)? A substitute would be to crush fried pork rinds you get at the store in the chips section and mix them into the cornbread batter. :)
P.S.: I never tried cornbread and milk in a CUP. We've always used a tall glass which will hold a couple of slices of crumbled cornbread. Fill with milk and eat with an ice tea spoon. :)

chero

Can't Leave
Dec 25, 2010
thats works too, jimbo, just works better with a cup if you got a short spoon.

Status
Not open for further replies.