Postpone your PAD or TAD, buy stock instead!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

economistandfisherman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 11, 2018
Stocks are at a big time low right now people (have you seen Bank of America?)...put off your addictions and buy some stock...just sayin... :mrgreen: :!:
You know you have plenty of tobacco and pipes on hand to last you through to the year 2300!

spartacus

Lifer
Nov 7, 2018
Mesa, Arizona
I'm thinking they are going lower. I have hit a lot of trailing stops the last couple of weeks. But... if I could guess I probably would be really rich by now.

pipehunter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 20, 2016
Probably be in a full-blown recession within a year or so. Invest and spend accordingly.

economistandfisherman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 11, 2018
I think in general, you're right spartacus, but, some top financial stocks are just trading at such low p/e's right now it doesn't make sense...and when the markets don't make sense, buy it up I always say! I'm not rich either, but I have to feed my fishing addiction somehow, lol.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
You can't smoke stock certificates. In all seriousness, people should most definitely save and invest. For most people those, stocks are a fool's game.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
Probably be in a full-blown recession within a year or so. Invest and spend accordingly.
Depends if you listen to the media idiots. Very few economists see anything other than a slow down but still running at 3% growth. Hardly a recession.

economistandfisherman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 11, 2018
Very few economists
I'm not one of those economists...macro growth economist here, and not a Keynesian...I'm a classical economist. IF we do go into recession, it will only be for the prescribed 2 quarters...

pipehunter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 20, 2016
Well, I hope you are right. I'm no longer in the field, so I only watch the economy and markets for my own account.
Still, I am not as optimistic.

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
I stopped paying attention for the most part. My allocations are going to stay put, it could just be harvest season.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
Meh. No inflation and low interest rates. Fed doesn't sound like they are going to keep raising rates in '19.
Frankly I hope people are scared and start paying down their cc's. Consumer debt is high right now and an increased interest rates could be a big drag.
BTW I am a biz owner, not an economist.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
I take a big chunk out of my pay and send it to my financial planner to invest. The rest is for me :puffy:

economistandfisherman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 11, 2018
Hard to tell what the Fed will do...I'm not a Keynesian economist, I'm a classical. In fact, I firmly believe the Fed's job should be banking regulation, not messing with economic activity. I believe we should simply grow the money supply at a rate equal to population growth + 1/2% so we have enough liquidity to make transactions, and leave it at that. That way business owners and consumers could better plan their future investments and debts. Furthermore, it would stabilize the stock market. My claim to fame in my field is in econometrics (estimation and forecasting), and one thing I can say for sure is that the Keynesians at the Fed are probably the most incompetent econometricians in the business.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
MSM is talking up a recession, talking out their posterior. It's alarming to see usually reputable sources like the WSJ following suit. But, like weathermen, there are no penalties for their failures. So they go with whomever pays the piper.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
They're like the Weatherman. If you predict rain long enough, it will eventually rain. Based upon historical statistics and their models, I'm sure it is time for a recession. However, the economy and stock market since 2008 hasn't at all behaved or looked like any historical model. My biggest concern is seeing the financial institutions playing it fast and loose with credit again. The world is also a very unstable place, many things could happen outside of the US sphere of influence that could trigger a recession.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
In all seriousness, people should most definitely save and invest. For most people those, stocks are a fool's game.
True enough but Charles Schwab does offer a S&P 500 Index fund that would be good for a long term Roth IRA. Especially if you max out contributions.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
My philosophy is to invest only the moneys I can afford to be without. I look only to the long term as the market rises in the long term. So, I look at it as banking/savings and do not look for a quick return. But, I started 50 years ago or so and my income is supplemented quite nicely, thank you. I think untrained people "playing" the market are usually in for a rough go.
And, waiting for the "low" to buy and the "high" to sell is simply too risky for my mental makeup. I invest and do not gamble. I never, hardly ever, leave my comfort zone when buying and selling. There is absolutely nothing foolish about the market, it's deadly serious. Simply do not risk more than you are willing to lose and invest wisely. It's easy to do, it simply requires patience and research. It requires shutting up and listening to people wiser than you are, who make nothing from your investments.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Fed doesn't like Trump, and IMO is doing everythig they can to see him fail.......... this economy is GOOD. I never understood why the Fed needs to "Slow Down" a robust economy?.......... let the markets prevail, and if an "economy" is on fire, so be it!............ :puffy:

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Warren is a wise man. To augment what he said, I think most people who don't have an IRA/Retirement fund through work should turn to a professional to at least get advice. Given the returns available from the market these days, kind of tough to pay someone a couple of % to manage your money.

Status
Not open for further replies.