PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
Separate stem and bowl.

Wipe off outside of tenon with a bit of paper towel.

Twist that bit of paper towel up and get the inside of the tenon (if it's a filter type) and then inside the shank.

Pipe cleaner through the stem, then through the airhole into the chamber.

Double up the pipecleaner and ream out the shank and then dry ream the chamber with it.

I pretty much follow OTD's routine, but not to shock bigvan, I do this at the end of the day. The pipes have always been cooling for at least a couple of hours.

jship079

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2010
I do what OTD does but with alcohol (and dry cleaners) and after allot of bowls over several days and then a day or two too cool before I rip it apart. As far as after every couple bowls I change the filter if its a filter pipe and I am always running pipe cleaners through the pipe and around the bowl.

archerdarkpint

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 23, 2010
I used to do a full clean after each smoke, but I've learned over time what works for me, and for me, this has been my routine for over ten years. My test to know it works? I've always had a clean and sweet smoke.
I'll smoke a pipe three or four times (a cursory clean between smokes) and then do a full clean. Cursory for me is to run a cleaner through the stem and shank, then swab out the bowl with a bent cleaner or paper towel. This way, any loose ashes are removed and I won't be hooting them on my initial light.
For a full clean, I'll bunch up a paper towel and "ream" the inside of the bowl (only for those pipes with the proper amount of cake). I'll remove the paper towel, dump any dottle or remains, and insert a new/clean paper towel and wad it up into the chamber. Then, it's cotton swabs dipped in alcohol (pick your own favorite alcohol) for the stem and shank, swabbing both generously.
Then a bristle pipe cleaner. After a back and forth sawing, yet circular motion through the shank, I'll then bend the bristle cleaner over double and run it through again (sawing in a circular motion) to clean anything clinging to the sides or deep within the bore.
Next, a standard pipe cleaner dipped in alcohol and I'll run those through the shank and then another one through the stem.
Following this, I'll run clean and dry pipe cleaners through the shank first, once clean, I double it up and run it through again, and then the same for the stem until clean.
Nearly the end, I run dry pipe cleaners both the shank and stem and once they are clean of any residue, I'll buff the lip with a clean cloth and let the pipe rest for a couple of days.
One last thing...if I don't finish the pipe, say I get busy and won't get to it until the next day, I always remove the stem from the main portion of the pipe and run a pipe cleaner through the stem and shank. This way, if there is any moisture, most of it is removed, while air is flowing around the two independent parts drying them before use and preventing the potential for moisture to grow into something unwanted.

Status
Not open for further replies.