PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I wouldn’t say they mute flavor. It’s just different. Same as a difference between briar and a cob.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I wouldn’t say they mute flavor. It’s just different. Same as a difference between briar and a cob.
Never got a difference between a briar and a cob. Meers flatten everything I put in them.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Never got a difference between a briar and a cob. Meers flatten everything I put in them.
I wonder if a lot of your flavor is the smoke coming up at you since you dangle clench?

because the smoke off them smells different.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
I wonder if a lot of your flavor is the smoke coming up at you since you dangle clench?

because the smoke off them smells different.
The meers were too awkward to clench, and the smoke I produce is rarely seen. I blame the sponge attribute of meer.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
I know not seen I just mean the aroma going upwards to your nose.

And it’s true.. usually their stems are “lacking”.
Not sure as my nose is saturated from the constant retrohaling, but take a strong blend like Black Twist XX. In a meer I can taste little to nothing but put it in a briar or cob and I'm blown away by char broil.

Reactions: BROBS

Sincerely

Lurker
May 23, 2020
Orygun
The piping world will tell you meerschaum is fossilized marine organisms and that not only do briar pipes need rest, they also breathe.

I'm fascinated by some of your quips.

I'd love to have a smoke with you and listen to your opinions on a wide variety of piping topics.

Could you speak more to what you just said about what people say about briar? You don't feel it need to rest/dry out?

Reactions: puff_not_snuff
Jan 27, 2020

I'd love to have a smoke with you and listen to your opinions on a wide variety of piping topics.

Could you speak more to what you just said about what people say about briar? You don't feel it need to rest/dry out?

The world needs contrarians although they sometimes tread the line between refreshing and bombastic, either way it’s nice when people commit themselves to their own beliefs.

Reactions: BROBS

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014

Briar is dense and very non-absorbant. There have been a few threads on here where members have submersed their briar in water for long periods of time and the pipe's weight didn't change much after the submersion. I myself smoke the same pipe multiple times per day for a week or more. After finishing each smoke I disassembled the pipe, clean the stem mortise and draft hole with a pipe cleaner, wipe out the chamber with a paper towel, and polish.

Just an example, but this pipe has been in my collection since 1992 and has been treated in exactly the way described. The stem is vulcanite and has never had an oxidation issue as I keep it clean and oiled.

20200426_213446.jpg

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
The world needs contrarians although they sometimes tread the line between refreshing and bombastic, either way it’s nice when people commit themselves to their own beliefs.
How's it being contrary when my pipes show otherwise?