PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rd02sir

Can't Leave
Nov 1, 2011
Cool thanks guys for all the tips and advice!!! I'll be sure to make the most if it!

rd02sir

Can't Leave
Nov 1, 2011
So my flights are booked! I leave for London on the 11th. Then get to Dublin on St. Pattys morning, then home on the 24th.
I have a friend in London that I'm goin to meet up with. Although he doesn't smoke, it would be nice to see some non tourist stuff, mostly only known by locals. It's hidden gems like that that I love.
I'm going to see the touristy stuff with my mom for a few days, then I'll explore on my own for the other days. I will also be tagging along to a conference with my father, and I might get a chance to meet the queen! Both my parents have met her, my dad about a half dozen times. Would be cool to shake her hand!

dienne

Lurker
Feb 6, 2012
Enjoy the visit! And when in Dublin please say 'ciao' to Philo for me. I still miss him so much.....

jcsnaps

Lifer
Oct 18, 2010
Nice adventure. You end up in Dublin on St. Patrick's Day, of course there may be a parade. I caution you to watch out for several American women who will be in Dublin that weekend doing the bachlorette party thing. My daughter decided this would be a great last girls night out, she tends to fall victim to her ancestry.

deyro

Might Stick Around
Feb 11, 2011
I might get a chance to meet the queen! Both my parents have met her, my dad about a half dozen times.

What the heck does your dad do that gives him so many opportunities to hang out with the Queen of England?

rd02sir

Can't Leave
Nov 1, 2011
Jcsnaps, I'll be sure to look out for them ;)
Deyro, my dad works for a company called Capam. Works for commonwealth countries to help make their government better.

deyro

Might Stick Around
Feb 11, 2011
Works for commonwealth countries to help make their government better.
Had to do a quick Google search. I see their mission is "to promote the practical requirements of good governance, just and honest government across the Commonwealth countries and beyond."
The terms 'practical,' 'just,' and 'honest' in a sentence with 'government'? 8O More power to him.

In American politics I think that's called a 'pipe dream'

rd02sir

Can't Leave
Nov 1, 2011
Yes it's quite an organization that involves many countries, some I've never heard of. Big head honchos of countries attend, so sometimes it can be a bit scary with all of them in the same room, but they are all there for the same reason, positive change. He is the Executive director and CEO, and all these people come to listen to what he has to say, so for me to see this is unreal. I have yet to fully understand his position and importance to the organization until recently (I still can't wrap my head around it).
Sorry about yapping about this hahaha. My parents and I didnt get along when I was an adolescent, but I know that they always wanted the best for me. We are now just starting to get along with one another without arguing, so it's nice to learn more about my dad, as growing up I didn't get along with them, and didn't have much interest in their lives.
I guess age does that to you. You realize who are really important in your life. And I was a jaded, rebelling teen, thinking i knew everything lol.
Anyways, I'm super stoked about this trip!!!! Gonna check out a few places, take some pics, make some YouTube vids and I'll post them up here!

jcsnaps

Lifer
Oct 18, 2010
Last time in London the daughter brought me back some Sam Gawith tobaccos from a shop called Cigars Unlimited.

rd02sir

Can't Leave
Nov 1, 2011
Hey chaps!! Little update here in London England.
Been a very busy day sightseeing all of london. Seen many many very interesting and historical places.
I got a chance to visit a few pipe shops. J.J. Fox and Davidoff.
I had a great experience at J.J. Fox. I swapped some of my Boswell Chocolate Cream, which they LOVED!! They said they have never smelt a more chocolaty tobacco ever!! +1 for Boswell!! The chocolate blend they had, they didn't like. They gave me a sample, and it's very much like Sam Gawith Chocolate Flake, More Lats then chocolate, actually, can barely smell the chocolate. I have them a few bowls worth, and gave them Boswells info to them. They were extremely pleased with my visit. I even showed them my Brigham, and Blatter & Blatter pipe, which he also loved (blatter & Blatter). They gave me a nice baggie (about 30-50g's) of his own hand blended tobacco, which smells great, I'm going to smoke a bowl of it right after this! haha. They also have me an Amaretto, and rum & maple broken flake bulk blend to sample as well. I also picked up a tin of Dunhill Nightcap, and thier own house blend called "The Banker", it's got some lat, cigar leaf, and virginias i believe. I forgot some of the info on the blends, as I had so much to soak in today. I made a video of my visit to J.J. Fox, you can check my youtube channel for the video. J.J. Fox is a must visit!! Oh, you can smoke in there, but only hand rolled cigars. Very nice aroma.
Davidoff was also pretty good. Probably not as friendly as J.J. Fox, but very nice and pleasant to deal with none the less. I also gave the guy (who smokes pipes) some of Boswells Chocolate cream, and he also was very impredded with the intensity of the chocolate. He wanted to light a bowl then and there, but he already had his break, and there is no smoking allowed. I decided to buy a London made pipe, can't recall the name hahaha, but starts with a "C" maybe "Ca" hahaha. Anyways, it's made IN London, and is the Trafalgar model, which is especially cool, since i'm staying in Trafalgar Square. Cost about 69pounds, so about $100, but the sentimental value is much higher. It's got some weird marking and numbering, which i'll have to look up when i get a chance. I also got a tin of Peterson Nutty sopmething or another. haha again, i've seen, heard and soaked in so much today, it's hard to take it all in.
I didn't see Dunhill, altho, i did totally forget to even look it up (sorry Kevin). I did see a few Dunhills at the two shops i stopped at, but too much for my wallet.
I'm off to Dublin of saturday, and i'll hopefully get a chance to make it to Petersons, maybe go on the factory tour if they have it.
Since arriving monday morning, I've seen about a half dozen pipe smokers walking the streets, or driving. Thats half a dozen more i've seen in the 6 months i've started back home.
Again, check out my video of J.J. Fox!!! Very very nice place to visit!!

Status
Not open for further replies.