PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tinsel

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
I saw an episode of "Top Gear" years ago where James, Richard and Jeremy were smoking "Porsche Designed" pipes, and I see them on ebay all the time (usually for what seems like a very high price).
http://www.ebay.com/itm/PORSCHE-Design-JET-BLACK-Chrome-RIM-9mm-FILTER-Estate-Pipe-i20-/262339247179?hash=item3d14a33c4b:g:5FgAAOSwFnFV9RZk
Does anyone here actually own and of these Porsche pipes? Whats the deal with them? I mean, are they actually good smokers, or are they just nice looking collector pieces? Are they worth the money that they usually sell for? Who actually manufactures them?
Thanks for the info.

jazz

Feb 17, 2014
UK
I see them as a gimmick and more a collectors piece. For that kind of money I would rather invest in a pipe from any number of other sources. I'm sure they are well made and I can't comment on the smoking qualities but they sure ain't for me.
I think they look a little silly too. I'm not saying one can't make a pipe to look like an engine part. I am just not sure one should.

tinsel

Oct 23, 2015
Jazz, your thoughts on it are basically what I was thinking as well. Seems it would be better to spend that kind of money on a nice pipe from a trusted source.

dukdalf

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 24, 2011
You should remember there are different varieties of the Porsche pipe: the first version, produced by Oldenkott in two shapes: a straight and a half-bent. Both shapes were available in different colour combinations. When Oldenkott and Porsche Design fell out production ceased for a good few years until Porsche Design signed a new agreement with Gubbels, the makers of Big Ben. This latter version is easily recognised by the screwed-down ring on top of the bowl. On a first version, the metal (black or aluminum, but not chrome) is seamlessly integrated in the pipe. These first versions were excellent smokers (I still have an all-black half-bent), I've never smoked one of the later editions. I'm not sure who makes them now (if anyone), but since Gubbels declared insolvency a few years back I don't see them on their website anymore.

bpftc

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 21, 2016
Well that is one way to keep from charing your rim. I couldn't tell what the bowl was made of? Is it some kind of resin/plastic?

michaelmirza

Oct 21, 2015
Chicago, IL
Maybe you could pair one with some of this:
bentley-tobaccos-header.jpg

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
Such a strange pipe line. I am not sure I have ever read a thread where an owner talks about how well a Porsche pipe smokes or doesn't smoke. Do people even smoke them in the US?

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
You should remember there are different varieties of the Porsche pipe: the first version, produced by Oldenkott in two shapes: a straight and a half-bent. Both shapes were available in different colour combinations. When Oldenkott and Porsche Design fell out production ceased for a good few years until Porsche Design signed a new agreement with Gubbels, the makers of Big Ben. This latter version is easily recognised by the screwed-down ring on top of the bowl. On a first version, the metal (black or aluminum, but not chrome) is seamlessly integrated in the pipe. These first versions were excellent smokers (I still have an all-black half-bent), I've never smoked one of the later editions. I'm not sure who makes them now (if anyone), but since Gubbels declared insolvency a few years back I don't see them on their website anymore.
Early on I really wanted one but that faded with time but I found one of the early German made editions NIB at a show for next to nothing.

IMO the German made pipes look better and less gadgety without the painted matte finish and hex bolts of the Gubbels pipes.

I always thought they were a novelty till until I was told by a top collector who is an international lawyer who worked with Butzi Porsche the grandson of the the founder and designer of the 911. It was reported to me that Mr. Porsche was an all day pipe smoker and that he designed the pipe himself.
Here is mine shown with a Porsche Design tamper. On a side note I have a Porsche Design flint pipe lighter that has been discontinued. Mine quit working and I'm having issues getting it fixed. The distributor will not service it so I sent it off to the Flagship PD shop in NYC to see if they can do anything with it. 8O

dscn3113.jpg

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
I second daveinlax regarding the quality of Porshe Design pipes. All I know is that I have just one and it is an outstanding smoker. It's a straight billiard and I've had it a few years. It's a briar pipe with stainless steel top and the color of the briar is dyed silver and the ventilator is dyed black. I also have a few pipe friends who love theirs, too.
Cup O Joes sells them and has some great info regarding the maker - http://www.cupojoes.com/pipes/porsche-design/

Mar 1, 2014
http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/radio-talk-show/the-pipes-magazine-radio-show-episode-106/
I'm not sure if a year and a half is too far out of date but they talk about the Porche pipes a bit on the Radio Show.

Status
Not open for further replies.