PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

ADKPiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 13, 2020
Adirondack Mountains
The late great George Carlin would point out that it's a nice way of saying "pig's ass".
But in point of fact, pigs ass, slow cooked on the BBQ or smoker is some good eats!

Reactions: Puff nstuff
Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Nice.

An alternative to pulled pork that I enjoy is rubbing the shoulder with herbs and spices (salt, pepper, garlic, brown sugar, rosemary, paprika, and maybe some whole grain or Dijon mustard) and slow roasting it in the oven at 300 for 2.5-3 hours.

The consistency and flavor are similar to beef at less cost. Meijer has them on sale right now (so I have a couple in the freezer).

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I visited a farm where they properly raised pigs, letting them roam in a fenced woods. There was a mama who had made a nest of sticks and leaves and had just given birth to a litter. They're smart and social. Still, I do eat them. Heck, my cats are carnivores. I blame it on the food chain, but I know where the non-meat eaters are coming from.

Years ago, a family member tried to go vegetarian and got terrible vertigo. Anyone can do it, but it requires a lot of judgement if you've eaten meat your whole life.

Reactions: Briar Tuck

Indygrap

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 18, 2022
New Orleans, LA
Awesome!

I've been looking at trying pork butt but haven't yet. Do you have nay tips such as temp or time?
Put your favorite rub on the night before, cover in the fridge. Take it out about 1.5-2hrs before you start the smoker. Get the smoker to 225°-250° & let her rip. At about the 3-4 hour mark you’ll hit a temperature stall(the temp of the meat will stop rising at 155° to 170°). At this stage you can wrap it in foil or butchers paper & increase the temp of your smoker to 300°. That gets it out of the stall temp a little faster but not so fast that it’ll make the meat tough. You’re looking for an internal temperature of 199°-203°. When you hit that zone, remove it from heat & let it rest for at least 30 min. An hour is better, but, if you’re anything like me, you’re starving. All in all it should take at least 6 hrs of cooking time. Definitely a long day, but more time to tend to the smoker & enjoy several bowls of your favorite tobacco.
If you’d like more info or tutorials, check out Hey Grill Hey. Very informative & full of recipes & techniques.
Happy smoking!

luigi

Can't Leave
May 16, 2017
Europe
Nice!
Pork butt sounded like a filled pork anus (pork bung?) with a beef tongue inside. Yes, it's actually on the menu.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Put your favorite rub on the night before, cover in the fridge. Take it out about 1.5-2hrs before you start the smoker. Get the smoker to 225°-250° & let her rip. At about the 3-4 hour mark you’ll hit a temperature stall(the temp of the meat will stop rising at 155° to 170°). At this stage you can wrap it in foil or butchers paper & increase the temp of your smoker to 300°. That gets it out of the stall temp a little faster but not so fast that it’ll make the meat tough. You’re looking for an internal temperature of 199°-203°. When you hit that zone, remove it from heat & let it rest for at least 30 min. An hour is better, but, if you’re anything like me, you’re starving. All in all it should take at least 6 hrs of cooking time. Definitely a long day, but more time to tend to the smoker & enjoy several bowls of your favorite tobacco.
If you’d like more info or tutorials, check out Hey Grill Hey. Very informative & full of recipes & techniques.
Happy smoking!
For anyone looking to get into smoking in a different way, check out Pit Barrel Cookers. Not large capacity, but easy to use and not expensive. It’s charcoal based but I don’t have room for a large, wood or pellet fueled unit. Love making pulled pork - it’s so easy and almost impossible to get wrong if you mind the temps and follow the recipes set out by the guy who invented the PBC.

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
Awesome!

I've been looking at trying pork butt but haven't yet. Do you have nay tips such as temp or time?
I put the rub on them at least several hours ahead of starting, sometimes overnight. I use Cookshack brand Rib Rub, don't think there's anything special about it other than I can get it in 1-gallon containers. I cook at 225* to an internal temperature of ~195* it takes 10-15 hours. I normally start the smoker at 8 pm, that way they should be done first thing the next day, I don't change the cooking temperature at the stall. The nice thing about an electric smoker is that it requires little to no babysitting, IOW it happily cooks away while I'm sleeping. Remote reading thermometers will alert me if something goes off track. We let the finished butts rest for at least an hour before shredding and vacuum packing.

Next up is brisket, spare ribs, and salmon.