PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Listed like English pipe.
5 dollars.
The white spot can be seeing upsidedown.

View attachment 190536
How the hell do you guys find these things? Trawling ebay listings and trying misspelled names every day?
I’ve been lucky once so far, picked a basket of old pipes including a gourd and meerschaum calabash for the price of less than an average meer calabash, but never seen high end stuff.

Alejo R.

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 13, 2020
Buenos Aires, Argentina.
How the hell do you guys find these things? Trawling ebay listings and trying misspelled names every day?
I’ve been lucky once so far, picked a basket of old pipes including a gourd and meerschaum calabash for the price of less than an average meer calabash, but never seen high end stuff.
In this particular case I bought it in Mercadolibre. There are more or less 3000 listed pipes. I order them from highest to lowest price and go to the point where I feel comfortable with the amount of money to spend. Then I select only used pipes and it narrows down enough to be able to look at the list. From then on it's just avoiding known names in the post title.

I scored this Reuben-era Charatan on eBay earlier this year. It was listed incorrectly as a Chataran (sp.) and there was only one photo, so I was the only bidder.

I’m sure many others have had similar experiences. Who else has had the fortuitous experience of a score on eBay because of a poorly listed item? Show us some pics.
Yup - I've done it a lot. Misspellings etc have allowed me to get some great deals over the years. I used to have running searches that were misspelled for this very reason. I was big into gold and silver early American coins about 25 years ago and you wouldn't believe some of the deals I got both on ebay and Sothebys online coin auctions. Once in a while a seller would back out but most of the time they came through. On Sothebys they always delivered

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
That looks very promising! It's going to need some TLC, but you're definitely ahead of the game with the windcap being undented. I'm not sure what's going on inside the chamber, but that will all clean out. The stem looks correct and it might be that the mortise and therefore the tenon are not perfectly centered, making the stem look like it doesn't fit, when it might just drop into place when properly oriented. The darkening around the bowl below the cap says to me that the pipe was enjoyed a lot, and maybe smoked hot, which can happen with these windcaps.
But all in all, looks really promising and a hell of a score!

Congrats!

J

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
That looks very promising! It's going to need some TLC, but you're definitely ahead of the game with the windcap being undented. I'm not sure what's going on inside the chamber, but that will all clean out. The stem looks correct and it might be that the mortise and therefore the tenon are not perfectly centered, making the stem look like it doesn't fit, when it might just drop into place when properly oriented. The darkening around the bowl below the cap says to me that the pipe was enjoyed a lot, and maybe smoked hot, which can happen with these windcaps.
But all in all, looks really promising and a hell of a score!

Congrats!

J
It’s from 1916. It’s going out for restoration but here’s a few less shitty photos.

The stem has an Orific bit and it’s using a paper shim.

FAD19EB1-E876-4838-9E65-38F079CCB2B8.jpegE607E9D4-B1A5-4BA9-A1BB-91655A854D00.jpegAE195F19-DA90-49CF-89C6-B78CC6F6035D.jpegA1733175-2EAD-4AD4-80CC-84683E81535F.jpeg

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
It’s from 1916. It’s going out for restoration but here’s a few less shitty photos.

The stem has an Orific bit and it’s using a paper shim.

View attachment 193416View attachment 193417View attachment 193418View attachment 193419
Was the shim to hold the stem from slipping? That video that Walt Cannoy up up on Youtube about heating the tenon to restore the fit has worked great for me.

That's going to be a swell looking pipe when it's been restored!

BTW, just checked my Pre-WW1 Barling catalog and your pipe's model name was "The Hunt"

• Love
Reactions: ashdigger

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Was the shim to hold the stem from slipping? That video that Walt Cannoy up up on Youtube about heating the tenon to restore the fit has worked great for me.

That's going to be a swell looking pipe when it's been restored!

BTW, just checked my Pre-WW1 Barling catalog and your pipe's model name was "The Hunt"
Here it is all restored. I can’t thank the chain of events enough.

I’ll actually make a new thread about this pipe.

F1DC5EE3-5B71-45DF-8F15-2BE83794F3DE.jpeg

Puffaluffaguss

Jul 30, 2021
The City Different
I won this S Yanik today for a decent price, not that the listing was weird just not much interest I assume. But I am happy with the price it wasn't a steal by anymeans but for an unsmoked Yanik I'll take it everyday 😄

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230128_192059_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20230128_192059_eBay.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot_20230128_192009_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20230128_192009_eBay.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 7

milk

Sep 21, 2022
Japan
View attachment 190400

I posted this pipe earlier today on the Pipe Acquisition of the Year thread, but I was curious to see who has had similar experiences.

I scored this Reuben-era Charatan on eBay earlier this year. It was listed incorrectly as a Chataran (sp.) and there was only one photo, so I was the only bidder.

I’m sure many others have had similar experiences. Who else has had the fortuitous experience of a score on eBay because of a poorly listed item? Show us some pics.
Not nearly so great as this but I scored a Viby for 7$. It was filthy but cleaned up beautifully. I just scored a Bari Ruby for 5$. It should come tomorrow. Again, it’s only maybe worth 50-80$ but might be a keeper for me. I actually love the cleaning process. It’s the first time in my life I get to do stuff with my hands. In both cases no one bid against me. I’ll post pictures soon. Not such a great find as this though…