PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

n_irwin

Can't Leave
Apr 15, 2022
Oklahoma, USA
5565C395-7C75-4812-8DFC-DFBE1AA87C0C.jpeg

I posted this pipe earlier today on the Pipe Acquisition of the Year thread, but I was curious to see who has had similar experiences.

I scored this Reuben-era Charatan on eBay earlier this year. It was listed incorrectly as a Chataran (sp.) and there was only one photo, so I was the only bidder.

I’m sure many others have had similar experiences. Who else has had the fortuitous experience of a score on eBay because of a poorly listed item? Show us some pics.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
View attachment 190400

I posted this pipe earlier today on the Pipe Acquisition of the Year thread, but I was curious to see who has had similar experiences.

I scored this Reuben-era Charatan on eBay earlier this year. It was listed incorrectly as a Chataran (sp.) and there was only one photo, so I was the only bidder.

I’m sure many others have had similar experiences. Who else has had the fortuitous experience of a score on eBay because of a poorly listed item? Show us some pics.
That's a beautiful pipe! And becoming one of my favorite shapes! The more teeth I get pulled, the less I like straight pipes! Hahaha.

I know @Chasing Embers had a few good scores from misspelled gems.

Briar Tuck

Lifer
Nov 29, 2022
Oregon coast
Yes, over the years I've scored quite well on eBay and elsewhere on things that were either spelled incorrectly or lacking critical information. As was mentioned though, their search algorithm has greatly improved over the years, so misspelling scores are harder to achieve now.

That's a great looking Chataran. ;)

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
That's a beautiful pipe! And becoming one of my favorite shapes! The more teeth I get pulled, the less I like straight pipes! Hahaha.

I know @Chasing Embers had a few good scores from misspelled gems.
I just got a horrid image. You smoking a billiard and when you take the pipe out there being two or three teeth just stuck to the stem. I had to share that since I don't like leaving horrors just sitting in my own mind.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
View attachment 190400

Well, there was this one:
qu0JQs1.jpg

W9I9CK1.jpg

And a number of others, but mostly from years ago, before eBay improved its cross referencing, so most misspellings have been cataloged and no longer lead to a dead end for the seller.

My best was a collection of a dozen pipes that I picked up for a little over $400. The pictures were so bad that the pipes looked like slightly blurry silhouettes. I recognized the shaping on a number of them so I knew on what I was bidding. My haul included a mint Barling straight grain, 2 Comoy Blue Ribands, 6 Sasieni 8 dots, a KBB Tivoli, and two no name "Algerian Briar" pipes. All of them were in lightly smoked to almost unsmoked condition.

n_irwin

Can't Leave
Apr 15, 2022
Oklahoma, USA
qu0JQs1.jpg

W9I9CK1.jpg

And a number of others, but mostly from years ago, before eBay improved its cross referencing, so most misspellings have been cataloged and no longer lead to a dead end for the seller.

My best was a collection of a dozen pipes that I picked up for a little over $400. The pictures were so bad that the pipes looked like slightly blurry silhouettes. I recognized the shaping on a number of them so I knew on what I was bidding. My haul included a mint Barling straight grain, 2 Comoy Blue Ribands, 6 Sasieni 8 dots, a KBB Tivoli, and two no name "Algerian Briar" pipes. All of them were in lightly smoked to almost unsmoked condition.
That’s incredible!

Briar Tuck

Lifer
Nov 29, 2022
Oregon coast
qu0JQs1.jpg

W9I9CK1.jpg

Wow, that one cleaned up nicely; gorgeous.

I've also done quite well when buying lots (not just pipes) and recognizing hidden gems in the mix. If one has the time to spare scouring the listings you can find some real bargains.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
... the profile between the stem and the band looks a bit off.

My guess? Someone took a push tenon stem from a different pipe and sanded/shaved its parallel-sided tenon into a cone shape that stayed put when twisted into a military stummel.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I just got a horrid image. You smoking a billiard and when you take the pipe out there being two or three teeth just stuck to the stem. I had to share that since I don't like leaving horrors just sitting in my own mind.
Took me three hours to get my teeth out of this stem! That's why I was able to smoke this Grabow for a whole year, it was stuck in my mouth!
1-6-20 (7).jpg

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Took me three hours to get my teeth out of this stem! That's why I was able to smoke this Grabow for a whole year, it was stuck in my mouth!
View attachment 190539
my word man that sounds like the very definition of blessing/curse. On one hand gives you a great excuse to smoke. Sorry I can't take it out the thing is stuck but it makes it even worse when you get the laughs while drinking milk.