PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Whilst reading up on some blends I have coming from the States I came across this review for McClelland's Black Parrot.
"I'm sorry, I didn't like it. In fact I liked nothing about it. I threw away the tin after trying it once. It just wasn't for me. I prefer English style tobaccos and chocolate and vanilla aromatics. This one was way outside my preferences, so I threw it away. I don't know if this review is helpful or not, but if it makes any difference, I really like birds and especially parrots, so I was hopeful it would work, but it didn't."
So this guy was hopeful that it would be a good smoke simply because it's called 'Black Parrot' and he happens to like parrots :crazy:
I've read endured many iffy reviews in my short pipe smoking career but this one really is hard to beat.
Regards,
Jay.

May 4, 2015
Well. Lots of tobacco sales are helped along by enticing names. Hobbits Weed, I'm looking at you!
But yeah. Buying a tobacco that is clearly outside your preferences because of a name is ridiculous. And throwing it away after one bowl is even more ridiculous.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
It could have been t.i.c., no?
I've seen plenty of reviews that start, "I don't like xyz blends, so let me review this one..." Yikes!

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
It's OK to pan a blend on the basis of not liking it, but useful explanations should be provided.

IMO, the best reviews are merely descriptive (and the unspoken biases seep through anyway).

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Black Frigate did entice me with the name and tin art. Twenty years after discovering it, still smoking it.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Sort of reminds me of 'Owl Pellets' which is an incredibly rare tobacco, occasionally seen around October but an interesting smoke.

saintpeter

Lifer
May 20, 2017
I've read endured many iffy reviews in my short pipe smoking career but this one really is hard to beat.
This is a review of Black Frigate pipe tobacco. It is made more difficult considering I have never smoked it, but I did not feel that was an insurmountable problem.
The pipe I didn’t smoke it in was a Bon-Cadeau.
First let us note that Black Frigate comes in a tin. Haggis comes in a tin as well. Both can be placed in a pipe. Both tins are round. Coincidence? I think not.

wy2w

Might Stick Around
Nov 10, 2015
Well said @deniz!
An honest review is the most important thing to help other smokers, but if I buy something that I abhor I won't say anything. Like so many other moms have said; "If you can't find anything nice to say, then keep your yap shut." If I find something that is below par, but can be smoked, then it's the; "I don't know, maybe it's just my pipe, but..." Others have to make their own decisions, because their taste buds aren't all burned out like mine. When giving a review rather than crapping on the mixture, just give the taste notes as you progress through bowl. That in its self will speak.
Somebody spent time trying develop that recipe, and it fulfilled their taste, made them proud, and fulfilled their tobacco need. Tobacco is like religion; some will prostrate themselves to that blend/tobacco, and others will be firing up their torches to burn the house down. It's the same with pipes, too. How can you even think about smoking one of those xxx pipes! I would rather...

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
That's quite hillarious.
I tend to read only the reviews from Jim, DK and Pipestud.

wy2w

Might Stick Around
Nov 10, 2015
"Black Frigate comes in a tin. Haggis comes in a tin as well. "
LOL!!!!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Is it a coincidence that Esoterica blends also come in bags?
bb2cb-6-600x400.jpg

saintpeter

Lifer
May 20, 2017
Thank you Chasing. My new desktop background. We'll see how long it takes the wife to notice the cute kitten has been replaced.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
'Could be intentional humor, but if not, it is funny, so I'll give it a pass. Points for writing short.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
The above review is just silly but I enjoy subjective reviews more so than objective reviews as I tend to find reviewers who have similar tastes to my own and from there I can make great judgment calls on whether or not I may like a particular blend. Objective reviews do nothing for me and they all sound the same after awhile, "grassy this and earthy that". I want to know how you like it. I do some reviewing of my own and I keep it subjective because, well, it's a subjective hobby.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Writing reviews doesn't take brains, knowledge or talent. Any idiot can write a review, and many idiots do.
Writing a good review does take brains, knowledge, and talent. That's why there are so few good reviewers.
I like when a reviewer informs me of his or her response to what is being reviewed, but I also like it much more when that reviewer can share their knowledge in a way that helps to educate me about what is being reviewed. Merely writing "I like this" or "I like that." Isn't telling me anything and isn't useful. It's not what constitutes a good review. It falls into the idiot category.
When the reviewer shares with me not only what he or she liked, but also how the various elements and their interaction prompted his or her response, what went into the subject being reviewed, that offers me something of value. That takes knowledge and a certain level of intelligence. So I do tend to get more from reviews that contain something more than a subjective opinion, which is the product of a lazy mind. Opinions are like assholes. Everyone has them and most of them stink.
I'll give "reviewer" quoted in the OP props for being honest, if completely inept.

Status
Not open for further replies.