PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeepnewbie

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
Byron
www.facebook.com
I was in my backyard today and heard water running. I saw a whole lot of water running off the neighbors concrete deck under the fence into my yard. Not knowing if a line broke I went over to investigate. I looked over the fence and he was by his pool filter with water gushing out of a pipe that was aimed towards my yard. I asked "draining your pool" casually, and he responded no. I can't remember what it was I was flushing but I pointed out that it was running right into my yard. He turned it off and just looked around with the expression of "where else should I drain it".
So to the pool owners out there what do you usually flush out of pools if your not draining it and is it poisonous?

rhoadsie

Can't Leave
Dec 24, 2013
Virginia, USA
Yeah, he's cleaning his filters by back flushing the existing pool water through the system. It needs to be done regularly. When I did it with my pool, I had a long hose that drained into the street and then to storm drains. It's the same water you swim in, but I wouldn't want my yard flooded with it.

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
The amount of chlorine in the pool probably wont kill you yard but it is not good for it, if your grass turns yellow then you know why
Most would drain the pump into the street or storm drain but not in the yard

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Is back flushing that toxic to lawns and shrubs? If a salt system, I'd think it likely to be bad, but with other filter systems??

jon11

Oct 25, 2013
Just tell him if you catch him flooding your yard again you will smash his face in....that's how I would handle it

jeepnewbie

Jul 12, 2013
Byron
www.facebook.com
When we first bought the house we had a hard time growing grass there. Now I know why. I have 6 dogs we let run around in the back yard. I don't want them sick, that may be the reason one had issues puking a while back.

jmill208

Lifer
Dec 8, 2013
Maryland USA
I backwash my pool into my yard regularly. There are no drains or streets anywhere near. It is basically harmless unless your chlorine levels are way too high, then you might kill some grass. I've had a pool for 15 years or so, and a dog for 7 of those and have never had any problems.
Your neighbor should be more considerate and keep the water in his yard though.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I'm with jmil208, your neighbor is a bit inconsiderate We drain or back flush ours into a large part of yard. I have ours hard-lined, so the wife doesn't have to drag out a hose everytime this needs done. I originally had it pointed at the end of our yard, which has a row of 35 arbor vitea. After installing the hard line, I noticed a few months in that two of our arbor-vitea were dying and they were taking the brunt of the discharged water. Once stopped, it took the better part of the year to bring them back. Those plants are 15' tall, so their demise would have left a pretty big hole in our backyard landscaping. So, certain plans may not do well with a large dose of chlorine treated water (guessing a salt system could also do some damage to evergreens, etc.) The water doesn't seem to hurt the grass, in fact that area thrives during the dry summer months. I take pretty good care of my lawn, so that would be a deal breaker! Technically, I believe it is illegal to discharge that water onto the ground water system (no one near me has wells), but I'm sure no one follows up on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.