PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I hope I'm in the right forum this time. Anyway, does anyone know what is used to put a thin, "wet look" on new pipes? Is it a clear polyurethane? If so, and the coating wears off, it it possible to restore the shine by coating the worn area with a polyurethane?

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
That's a question best answered by pipe carvers or repair people. I am almost certain the majority of pipes do not have a polyurethane coating but are just waxed. Normal maintenance and applying some fresh wax will retain the shine although most pipes darken somewhat with use.

Reactions: diamondback

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
As I understand it, some folks use polyurethane and have very good success with it. It’s one way to get that ‘deep gloss’ look and you don’t need a buffing wheel. Of course don’t get any in the bowl or put it on too liberally.

All this being said, I’m a newbie at restoration and am still learning a lot as I’m getting into the hobby.

I’m very curious to see what our resident restoration pros have to say. Don’t take my comment as the last word. We’ll both be learning here. :)

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
Turns out that Poly seals the pipe, so use of a shellac is preferred. I did meet a guy at my local cigar/pipe retailer that was quite proud of his restored Peterson. It had that deep-mirror gloss and he was telling us he’d used a thin coat of Poly to finish.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
I hope I'm in the right forum this time. Anyway, does anyone know what is used to put a thin, "wet look" on new pipes? Is it a clear polyurethane? If so, and the coating wears off, it it possible to restore the shine by coating the worn area with a polyurethane?
This is a great question. I'll be watching this thread.
There is a Jeantet Stone Rubis at a local antique mall that looks as if it has a coating of some sort. It has a glassy shine to it and it even has a few chips in the "coating". It looks just like the pipe in the pic, except it's the Rubis (it's red, not blue). It looks like it has a polyurethane coating.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have a few glossy finished pipes that might be suspect of being finished with polyurethane. I don't think that is something you want in the chamber or necessarily heated up on the outside of the bowl. If you have any choice or if you are DIY, I'd use something else.

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
According to the older thread I posted, shellack is not at all uncommon and Poly is frowned upon.

I’ve yet to do a little amateur restore with anything but Paragon.

Reactions: saintpeter

saintpeter

Lifer
May 20, 2017
According to the older thread I posted, shellack is not at all uncommon and Poly is frowned upon.

I’ve yet to do a little amateur restore with anything but Paragon.

This is a question that seems to be heavily avoided in merchants listing new "factory" pipes. It seems NO one is willing to state authoritatively what they use. Particularly with rusticated pipes. I have used shellac for restoration, but never had the cojones to use poly or say tru oil. Paragon never delivered the initial look I was going for. And now let the arguments over breath-ability begin.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
a pipe doesn't breathe from the outside contrary to popular belief..
if so couldn't you cover the top of your pipe with your hand and still suck air through like a sponge?

BC, Peterson, Brebbia... many others use a poly coating (I can only assume). The shiny green St Patrick's day system pipes and the shiny red Killarney sure have to have it IMO.

though they don't necessarily smoke worse because of it I don't believe. Any smoking difference IMO has to do with the bowl coating and the quality of the briar... which can only be assumed on a pipe with that finish to have been worse briar initially, or it would have been a higher grade pipe.

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
This is a question that seems to be heavily avoided in merchants listing new "factory" pipes. It seems NO one is willing to state authoritatively what they use. Particularly with rusticated pipes. I have used shellac for restoration, but never had the cojones to use poly or say tru oil. Paragon never delivered the initial look I was going for. And now let the arguments over breath-ability begin.

You can get a pretty good shine with shellac I’d bet.

(Oh and yes, I couldn’t help but wonder about the ‘breathing’ of some of those uber-thick briar bowls.)

ETA: I wonder if some manufacturers use a mixture that contains a percentage of Poly. There sure are some shiny pipes on the shelves :)

saintpeter

Lifer
May 20, 2017
I just this morning received a commissioned pipe that was rusticated. New as in just finished a couple days ago. Yes, it was "shiny," but it did not smell like shellac, poly or anything I have ever used. I am now highly confused.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
It’s possible to achieve with just wax, but some pipes have to be finished with something other than wax IMO. Maybe it’s just carnauba and a lot of work?

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
Carnauba is easy on a smooth pipe. It doesn't last since it has such a low melting pointing. From what I've read on a pipe makers forum, they use a light shellac as a seal once the stain is on. That give it a better base for for shine so then it goes on to buffing and waxing. At least that's how I understand it.

john019

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 19, 2018
You can get a pretty good shine with shellac I’d bet.

(Oh and yes, I couldn’t help but wonder about the ‘breathing’ of some of those uber-thick briar bowls.)

ETA: I wonder if some manufacturers use a mixture that contains a percentage of Poly. There sure are some shiny pipes on the shelves :)
I've read a couple of places that thinning the shellac with some denatured alcohol and applying it would work for a gloss finish.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
As far as the undersigned goes, I'd rather avoid buying pipes with high glossy finishes, just to be on the safe side,thats how I feel it,I have had them few, nothing bad, but if my memory serves right those few with high glossy finishes what I had (Peterson&Chacom )in the past did tend to overheat more than I anticipated

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Just as an aside, I have always been fascinated that unfinished pipes, like some of the Savinelli's, eventually color and develop a deep smooth somewhat shiny finish. No formulated chemical finish needed. Some of my older ones are a deep walnut color.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Carnauba is easy on a smooth pipe. It doesn't last since it has such a low melting pointing. From what I've read on a pipe makers forum, they use a light shellac as a seal once the stain is on. That give it a better base for for shine so then it goes on to buffing and waxing. At least that's how I understand it.

I've read a couple of places that thinning the shellac with some denatured alcohol and applying it would work for a gloss finish.

Yes to both the above. Several very fine (thinned down) coats of shellac. I've done it on furniture, but I am no pipe maker. (Read some real pipe maker's comments, though.) I believe there's a very fine grit sanding taking place between coats.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Just as an aside, I have always been fascinated that unfinished pipes, like some of the Savinelli's, eventually color and develop a deep smooth somewhat shiny finish. No formulated chemical finish needed. Some of my older ones are a deep walnut color.
Same. They can also take a very high gloss when carnauba is applied with buffer wheel. Here are two unfinished basket pipes- both Parkers, after a pro did them:
IhGTcYd.jpg

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I get the impression that if I can't live with this particular pipe with less than its original shiny coat, I should use shellac. It sounds like the safe choice.

Reactions: jpmcwjr
Status
Not open for further replies.