PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Sanzini

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2021
Bristow, VA
Evening all -
I just picked up an estate Savinelli, black sandblasted. The finish is rather dull, even cloudy white in some of the crevices. Any tips for getting it looking new - product or technique?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Next Q: where to buy? I looked up Halcyon on Amazon and saw several products near the top, including this. Anyone used Decatur? View attachment 90520

Sanzini

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2021
Bristow, VA
Thank you!

Reactions: ofafeather

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago

Just to reenforce what JPM said. Get a toothbrush for your pipes. Even better, get a cheap electric toothbrush. A little soap and water and a toothbrush does wonders for cleaning pipes. When you get the Halcyon wax, put a little in your palms and rub it into the briar. Then wipe the pipe down.

burleybreath

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2019
Finger Lakes area, New York, USA
Looks like wax buildup to me. I've actually used a soft flame and repeated wiping with a soft cloth to remove it. And maybe a toothbrush. Can't remember exactly, but it seemed to work on an estate that I picked up somewhere, probably ebay. Had it not worked, I would have tossed it. It was gross, and didn't show in the half-assed photos.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'd start by spending an hour polishing with a slightly abrasive cloth, a jeweler's cloth or new bandana with sizing in it, or even a paper towel. Do this watching TV or otherwise distracted so it doesn't get boring. If it still looks grungy, follow the more assertive methods in the previous posts. I think the initial work by hand will get you well along toward the finish you want.

Reactions: Sanzini