PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
There have been numerous posts discussing the various ways to buff and polish our pipes. Most of these related to trying to do it on the cheap.
I found a couple of ways that for those willing to spend under $100 for a complete set up can do this. Link below.
Probuff Buffing & Polishing System
And for those who have a full blown shop with a lathe I found the prodcut below interesting. I am getting into pen making and will be purchasing a mini lathe soon and this will probably be my first accessorie after chucks. The price is for the buffing system only.
3 Step Lathe Buffing System
My disclaimer. I am no way affiliated with the website I posted links to. Just thought I would pass along the info.

waznyf

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2012
Texas
Did anyone ever come to the conclusion as to whether or not using those buffers to polish pipes was safe?

I thought I saw some comment in a previous thread stating that it wasn't a great idea and that polishing by hand was better.

Sorry for bringing up a different topic that is most likely already resolved but I never heard the final consensus.

waznyf

Apr 24, 2012
Texas
Hand jobs take forever.
That could have been and was taken the wrong way at first hobie hahaha :eek: but I suppose that is something to consider. Although I wouldn't mind taking the time to shine her up!

waznyf

Apr 24, 2012
Texas
Maybe I am making it all up, I just thought I remember reading that in a recent thread....
Guess I will have to debate purchasing one of those at a price like that!

Fortunately my pipes still shine but it wouldn't hurt to buff em up a bit.

Aug 1, 2012
You have to use a light hand and get some practice but buffing pipes is really no different than buffing other small woodworking projects. I think the thread waznyf is referring to is this one . I personally would try to avoid a Dremel but that's just personal preference. I have the choice between a bench grinder with buffing wheels or a drill in a vice with buffing wheels. I went for my drill and have had good results. I will post some before and after pics after I get my finishing waxes.
I just did some research and if you have a Home Depot and an Ace Hardware you can get drill, vice, wheels and compounds for around $100. You will just have to get finishing waxes like carnuba or Halcyon II online.
Sou

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
Having a stable bench mounted, or stand mounted buffer is the key to being able Buff anything. Dremels, drills, etc that are not securely mounted is where you get poor results that take longer to achieve professional results. Just Google up pro buffing and look at the size of their buffers and buffing wheels.

Aug 1, 2012
Hobie1dog is correct. The key to any good buffing job is to have the tool correctly mounted. The other key is using the right wheel for each stage as each buffing compound or wax behaves differently. That means you need to take the surface speed of the wheel into account and choose the right size as well as the right material/stitching.
Sou

cajunguy

Jan 22, 2012
Metairie, LA
I use a full power 2-wheel 6" buffer from Harbor Freight. It runs natively at 3500 rpm, so I have it connected to a Router Variable Speed switch (also available at Harbor Freight). If memory serves, I believe I spent, in total, $70 for the combo and it suits my needs perfectly. I use the higher speeds for stems, metal, and putting a nice gloss to my tampers. The modulator allows me to kick the speed down below 1000 rpm for carnuba work. It really is a fantastic combination and cost a considerable amount less than "professional" polishing machines.
Also, the buffer isn't that big. I do all my restoration work in my bedroom on a Sauder computer desk. It's got a good weighted platform, doesn't shift, and is easily movable when need.
Wheels you can get from sears or Pimo. Both places offer fine products. I get my polishing compounds from Woodcraft.
Hope this helps for people looking to put together an excellent set for a relatively low price.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I looked at the ProBuff style buffer but was told those friction fit wheels won't maintain the grip on the spindle for pipe stem/briar work. Those are typically used in the jewelry industry, where you wouldn't put as much pressure on the shaft. (my jeweler has one, suggested it wouldn't suit wood work). I see that company is advertising them in the pen making section. That is a great price, if someone has one, please let us know if it works.
I like cajunguys setup and you certainly can't argue with his results.
I have an old furnace motor (1725 rpm ) with a Jestco $15 arbor. I'll have to look into the variable speed controller. If you have a link for that cajun guy, give me a shout. I also have 3500 dual arbor polisher I use for metal that I would love to convert to pipe use (but it is just too fast now).

cajunguy

Jan 22, 2012
Metairie, LA
Here ya go, Al:
Router Speed Control
image_18028.jpg

It plugs into your basic household 110 outlet: buffer -> speed control -> outlet. It has its own fuse and doesn't put much of an amperage drain on the circuit (unless you're running, say, a hair drier at the same time, I wouldn't worry).
Edit: Sorry. I didn't realize the picture was that damned big. LOL

acme

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 4, 2011
The only thing that I would add to what has been said is that loose buffs, not stiched, are the way too go. Stiched buffs, like the ones in the Harbor Freight website, are too agressive.

anthony

Status
Not open for further replies.